Ready, set, shop!
To the delight of shoppers and local artisans near and far, California State Parks, Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park (SHP) and Friends of Sutter’s Fort will present a vibrant, high-energy and fun three-day event – Shop Traders’ Faire! – on Friday, April 26 through Sunday, April 28.
Designed as a maker’s mart and offered just once a year, this lively event takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. each of the three days and offers a unique shopping bazaar where visitors can purchase a wide variety of locally crafted goods. Visitors to Sutter’s Fort can expect to browse and shop hand-crafted goods from many the talented local artisans, a sampling of which includes the following:
- Basket Tree – jewelry crafted from traditional materials from the Pit River Tribe and more
- Beaded Hats by Leanne Snow Bear – traditional Native American beadwork
- Bigelow Leathers – handmade leather journals
- Biscuits the Blacksmith – hand-forged metal goods
- Bubbling Goat Soaps – soaps and lotions
- Bull Hat Company – palm leaf hats shaped on-site
- Crooked Creek Trader – leather bags, wooden canteen, knifes and more
- Debbie’s Novelties – supplies, soap stone, dolls, beadwork, dream catchers, sun catchers, ornaments, abalone work and more
- E & D Beads – trade beads, old tools, pottery and beadwork
- Hippocampus Forge – metal goods
- Indigenous American Art – airbrushed Native American Art prints, Southern Plain style Jewelry and apparel
- Native Three Feathers – handmade dolls, necklaces and earrings
- Needlin’ Women – fabric, patterns and artwork
- Phoenix Obsidian Designs – flint knapped items, stone tools, furs, leather and more
- Roquero Gems & Medicine Bags – gems, medicine bags and more
- Stone Rose Designs – handcrafted jewelry
- Talbott & Co. Heritage Goods – clothing, hats, toiletries and accessories
As background, Sutter’s Fort once served as a thriving commercial center in the early days of the Gold Rush. In fact, it was the only trading center on the way to the gold fields and literally thousands of gold miners passed through the Fort to purchase needed supplies from vendors hawking a variety of goods.
Admission to this special Shop Traders’ Faire! event at Sutter’s Fort SHP is $7 per adult (18 and older), $5 per youth (ages 6 to 17) and is free for children 5 and under (regular admission pricing is $5 per adult, $3 for youth). For more information, call 916-445-4422 or visit SuttersFort.org.