Patrick Mulvaney and Shawn Harrison discuss the importance of local agriculture in Sacramento at Time Tested Books store

  Sunday evening Patrick Mulvaney couldn’t be found in the Mulvaney’s B&L kitchen. Instead, the chef and restaurateur was at Time Tested Books with Shawn Harrison, executive director of Soil Born Farms, discussing local agriculture as part of The Sacramento Living Library series. The series is presented by Midtown Monthly and Time Tested Books. Tim Foster, editor of Midtown Monthly, moderated the talk. Harrison began the conversation with the historical context of Sacramento’s agriculture addressing the question: Why it is the way it is? “Farmers were unable to sell their crops in Sacramento because there was not a huge demand for those crops so they went elsewhere,” said Harrison. Mulvaney said, “98 percent of the food that is grown in Sacramento leaves our area, so only 2 percent of the food that you see in our city is stuff that we eat on a daily basis.” Mulvaney and Harrison also discussed the economical aspects of local farms in Sacramento’s schools. “A school can pay X and a grower can pay X and right now those don’t match,” said Harrison. Harrison added that while schools might have the ability to pay for quality foods the farmers don’t have the resources needed to produce an abundance of food for these facilities. There is an mechanism that Harrison and Mulvaney are currently trying to develop as an attempt […]

Continue reading

New Local Web Site has One-Stop Entertainment Shopping

Planning a Fundraiser, Event, or Party…check out the new & locally operated website www.SactoTalent.com. Much more than just an event planning tool, this site also acts as a great location to find and book local talent. All kinds! Clubs, Events, Fundraisers, or Kids Parties; they have something for everyone. Unlike other talent registries which just list either musical or comedy talent…This site has a larger variety of talent including speakers, celebrity MC’s, singers and more. This site is being marketed all over Northern California. To date this new site has already been seen promoted on several cable networks, ads in SN&R,  Sac State Hornet, and Sac City College papers, and is going directly after corporate event planners. All this to insure that all the talent have the best opportunity to be seen and booked. In addition, the owner of the company is also producing shows around town so that the talent can be showcased properly. They have regualr shows at the Dante Club (next is June 11th), at Harlows Nightclub in midtown (shows June 3rd & 17th), and at Vinces Italian Restaurant in Elk Grove (next show is June 25th). So be sure to drop by any of the shows and experience some of Sacramentos best talent. Support your local talent! If you or your company want a great event, save money and have a great show; […]

Continue reading

Patrick Mulvaney and Shawn Harrison discuss the importance of local agriculture in Sacramento at Time Tested Books store

  Sunday evening Patrick Mulvaney couldn’t be found in the Mulvaney’s B&L kitchen. Instead, the chef and restaurateur was at Time Tested Books with Shawn Harrison, executive director of Soil Born Farms, discussing local agriculture as part of The Sacramento Living Library series. The series is presented by Midtown Monthly and Time Tested Books. Tim Foster, editor of Midtown Monthly, moderated the talk. Harrison began the conversation with the historical context of Sacramento’s agriculture addressing the question: Why it is the way it is? “Farmers were unable to sell their crops in Sacramento because there was not a huge demand for those crops so they went elsewhere,” said Harrison. Mulvaney said, “98 percent of the food that is grown in Sacramento leaves our area, so only 2 percent of the food that you see in our city is stuff that we eat on a daily basis.” Mulvaney and Harrison also discussed the economical aspects of local farms in Sacramento’s schools. “A school can pay X and a grower can pay X and right now those don’t match,” said Harrison. Harrison added that while schools might have the ability to pay for quality foods the farmers don’t have the resources needed to produce an abundance of food for these facilities. There is an mechanism that Harrison and Mulvaney are currently trying to develop as an attempt […]

continue reading

New Local Web Site has One-Stop Entertainment Shopping

Planning a Fundraiser, Event, or Party…check out the new & locally operated website www.SactoTalent.com. Much more than just an event planning tool, this site also acts as a great location to find and book local talent. All kinds! Clubs, Events, Fundraisers, or Kids Parties; they have something for everyone. Unlike other talent registries which just list either musical or comedy talent…This site has a larger variety of talent including speakers, celebrity MC’s, singers and more. This site is being marketed all over Northern California. To date this new site has already been seen promoted on several cable networks, ads in SN&R,  Sac State Hornet, and Sac City College papers, and is going directly after corporate event planners. All this to insure that all the talent have the best opportunity to be seen and booked. In addition, the owner of the company is also producing shows around town so that the talent can be showcased properly. They have regualr shows at the Dante Club (next is June 11th), at Harlows Nightclub in midtown (shows June 3rd & 17th), and at Vinces Italian Restaurant in Elk Grove (next show is June 25th). So be sure to drop by any of the shows and experience some of Sacramentos best talent. Support your local talent! If you or your company want a great event, save money and have a great show; […]

continue reading