No high resolution image exists...
The Save the Eastern Star fundraiser features live music by Sacramento swing jazz favorites Mumbo Gumbo and the discount jazz stylings of the Freebadge Serenaders. Master of ceremonies Matias Bombal will introduce the performers. Locally-produced "Ruhstaller" beer will be available for those over 21. Tickets are $25 in advance via Brown Paper Tickets, $30 the night of the event--Saturday, April 28 at 7 PM.
Sacramento’s Eastern Star Hall was built in 1928 as a meeting hall for the Order of the Eastern Star, a Masonic women’s organization. It is one of only four buildings constructed for the Eastern Star organization, and the only one still surviving and in active use. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a fine example of Romanesque Revival architecture, and a rare example of local buildings devoted to a women’s organization.
The building is still utilized by the Eastern Star organization and rented to local community organizations like Sacramento Swingtime and Sacramento Old City Association, but time has taken its toll on the building, and repairs must be made to keep the building safe and sturdy. The local Eastern Star organization does not have the resources to repair the building. This event will raise funds needed to fully assess the building’s condition and begin repair work that will keep this architectural treasure an active and vital part of our community. It will also help show the public that the Eastern Star Hall as beautiful inside as it is on the outside!
The Order of the Eastern Star is a Masonic-affiliated women’s organization, founded in 1850. The first Eastern Star chapter in Sacramento was founded in 1879. Most Eastern Star organizations used Masonic facilities for their meetings, and the Sacramento chapter met at the Masonic Temple at 12th and J. In 1923, members of five Sacramento area Eastern Star chapters organized to design, fund and build their own hall, under the leadership of Mabel Boyd Seymour, a past Grand Matron of the organization. Fundraising efforts took five years, and was based on the sale of twenty thousand $5 shares of stock in the building. Each chapter purchased shares, and sold them to other organizations. The lot purchased for the building was at 2719 K Street, across the street from Sutter’s Fort.
The building was designed by the architectural firm of Coffman, Salsbury & Stafford in the Romanesque Revival style. An architect’s drawing of the building includes five people in front of the building, all women. The women in the sketch were dressed in contemporary 1920s fashions, with bobbed hair and knee-length skirts, and one behind the wheel of an automobile. This sketch provides insight into the changing role of women in the 1920s, and reflects the intended purpose of the building as the home of a women's organization. The building was completed in 1928, and used for both public and private functions. Many local schools used the hall’s grand ballroom for dances and social functions. A fire in December 1936 temporarily closed the hall, but it was quickly repaired and reopened. Located directly across from the reconstructed Sutter’s Fort, the hall became one of many social institutions around the Fort’s perimeter on the eastern end of K Street.
Save the Eastern Star Hall Fundraiser
Featuring MUMBO GUMBO and THE FREEBADGE SERENADERS
Master of Ceremonies MATIAS BOMBAL
Sponsored by Midtown Neighborhood Association, Sacramento Old City Association, Capital City Preservation Trust and Ruhstaller Beer