La Paloma Cash and Gold owner shot

The owner of a business on 16th Street was shot in the face Friday afternoon and is being treated at a local hospital with non-life threatening wounds.

“It was gross,” said Sera Macseng, the owner of 16th Street Donuts. “I have never seen anything live like that.”

According to Macseng, the owner of the pawn shop came out holding a gun and walking in a daze with blood covering half of his face.

The business – La Paloma Cash and Gold, at 523 16th Street – is adjacent to a strip mall on F Street. Police say the incident started as a robbery and quickly escalated, and that the victim returned gunfire either at the suspect and/or a car.

One witness, Elias Rodriguez, said two Hispanic men came into the business to rob the man. The owner was shot in the mouth, and the bullet went through his cheek.

A customer, Lowell Dunlap, described the owner and victim – Jesse – as a nice and honest man, though Dunlap added that he knew Jesse kept a gun on him.

"Right now, you see why," said Dunlap. "Just this time yesterday me and him were shooting the bull. Chances are he’s gonna close and leave town."

Another customer, Gabriel Bursiaga, said he was on his way to the shop when he came upon a scene of police and media. "That’s messed up that he got shot – he was nice to me," Bursiaga said. "I’m glad I didn’t get here earlier, I might have gotten shot."

Police are looking for the suspects, described as two Hispanic men in their 20s, and the vehicle – a 2000 Chevy Impala that may have damage to the rear window or right-side windows due to returned gunfire. The Impala also has a black bumper.

"We believe the motive was an armed robbery to the business," Sacramento Police Department Spokesman Doug Morse said.

Editor’s note: The “News Digest” goes out every Tuesday morning and highlights our best stories, photos and videos from the week prior. Sign me up.

January 25, 2013 | 4:09 PM

Good reporting. That’s my old neigbborhood. It ain’t what it use to be. When I was a kid it was mainly a family-oriented Mexican neigbborhood. @Peta_de_Aztlan

January 25, 2013 | 4:16 PM

You may want to add the token line that the SacBee included: “The wounds are not life-threatening”. It may seem obvious, since the story notes he came outside, but being shot in the face is, well, often life-threatening.

January 25, 2013 | 4:37 PM

Thanks for the tip, Ryuns, we added that after speaking with police. We’ll update the story as we get more details from the cops on the suspect(s).

January 25, 2013 | 4:59 PM

Excellent coverage folks with one exception to quote: “I have never seen anything live like that.”

We have and then, it was a dark stain on the City of Sacramento (City Manager, Mayor and Council) that has not gone away. Imagine you’re a clerk in a mini-mart. You’ve just been robbed and shot in the face. You have called 911 – you hear sirens from Sacramento Fire Department but they stop some distance away. No police arrive – no paramedics either. You call 911 again….

January 25, 2013 | 5:03 PM

Now we pick it up from Crimewatch monitoring of the event later reported in a local news magazine:

“… one hears an SPD dispatcher’s voice saying, “Priority call … I have a [call] at 3041 Rio Linda Blvd. … on a possible shooting … at the Park ’N’ Save … call came from the business line. Subject said he’s been shot in the face … suspects are two male blacks, one wearing a hat and ran outside behind the market … no answer back at the business line.”

Coming from store owner Ramesh Govan, at 1:40 p.m., dispatch reported this was the second 9-1-1 call made on the incident, which occurred at 1:24 p.m. Friday, March 16. A sector sergeant was standing by at the time of a burglary-in-progress call and had no immediate backup, according to the audio tape.

A store clerk confirmed that Govan had refused to sell cigarettes to two youths, ages 14 and 15, earlier that day. Shortly after 1 p.m., they came back and shot Govan.

Following the second call, a motorcycle officer told dispatch that he would respond to the scene. It took another 47 minutes for the SPD to get a California Highway Patrol helicopter to conduct a search for the juveniles.

Although paramedics arrived on the scene first, medical help could not be given to Govan until officers arrived, to ensure the paramedics’ safety.

“Can you imagine? You’re shot in the face, you hear [fire engine] sirens coming and think help is on the way, but no one comes,” Reed says. “And then, you have to call 9-1-1 a second time?”

Speaking for the chief, Najera claims that while the lack of available patrol officers does result in some high-priority calls going unanswered for a time, “most of the time … they are calls of a relative low priority.”

Reed disagrees, saying, “This is not an isolated incident. No matter what management wants to tell you.”

January 25, 2013 | 5:17 PM

I am thankful for the fact Sacramento PD has pulled in additional officers in our neighborhood after we have experiences some of the worst violence in the city. Residents need to hear the truth from a real police officer. I presented it to City Council but they never blinked! This career patrol sergeant works our streets today and wants his residents to know the facts:

“Our staffing levels have significantly decreased all at the same time where calls for service, the parolee population, and neighborhood problems have increased.”

“Let me remind you that our city is virtually 100 square miles and most calls for service require two officers to handle. God forbid if we should have two critical incidents at the same time. For the only hope then is outside agency assistance.”

:Sac PD’s staffing for uniformed officers for patrol are: 31 for day shift, 40 for swings, and 28 for late watch.”

January 26, 2013 | 12:51 PM

Does our new City Councilman want to reconsider his statement about how “safe” his district is???

January 26, 2013 | 4:26 PM

Has Midtown become the personal ATM machine for gang bangers and parolees? Perhaps Sacramento County should issuing permits to carry concealed weapons so that residents and business owners in the Central City can defend themselves without fear of criminal prosecution. It is the County that cut the budget for probation officers to monitor parolees. It is also County that have pushed the homeless into the Central City and off the America River Parkway. Now it is up to the County to help us defend ourselves against these criminal threats.

January 26, 2013 | 6:38 PM

GOOD NEWS: When we log in with Sacramento PD Communication Center we look for every opportunity to inject a little humor in Call Taker’s often stressful shifts.

1) We look at the call number we’re assigned to see if its a good poker hand now that’s they’re five digits long. Best hand so far, a full house. Tonight, two pairs #22997.

2) “Let’s hope for a quiet night” has become standard. For the last three Saturdays our Crimewatch patrols experienced increased police coverage in beat 3B and fairly quiet shifts. “Don’t jinx it … keep saying that” the friendly Com Center folks say.

January 26, 2013 | 7:30 PM

If I were a business owner in downtown or midtown I would have a C&C for each employee and an attitude adjustment device under the counter pointed at the crotch of any wanna-be felon. Plus a means to trap them between doors so the idiots are trapped until PD decides to show up.

2nd amendment is my BFF as long as I live in Sac.

Now I hear SAC PD is recruiting for cadets, but how long before they are available for the streets?

Where is Charlie Bronson when you need him?

January 26, 2013 | 8:36 PM

Next Tuesday night’s Council session: Crime must be down – no adjustment to the police budget! How many “concerned citizens” will be there to ask why? Will the Mayor be MIA again on King’s business instead of public safety issues?

Agenda Item 15: Fiscal Year (FY) 2012/13 Midyear Budget Report Report # 2013-00051
Estimated Time: 60 Minutes
Location: Citywide
Recommendation: Pass a Resolution 1) amending the FY2012/13 Approved Budget as necessary to implement the City’s financial plan for the remainder of the year; and 2) authorizing the Director of Finance to implement the approved budget adjustments.

January 29, 2013 | 9:33 AM

Ahh, the priceless quote from law enforcement: “We believe the motive was an armed robbery to the business,” Sacramento Police Department Spokesman Doug Morse said.

DO YA THINK??

Sad to say, but that area is a little sketchy. But, it’s also full of commuters in the late afternoon. And it certainly seems like there’s a good police presence around there most of the time. Evidently, not so much on that day. Hope the guy recovers & that they catch the bandits.

March 5, 2013 | 6:11 PM

Something needs to be done about the crime and vagrance in downtown and put a stop to the violence down here! I live in Alkali Flats, I was at Sampino’s next door, and my husband was waiting with our son outside on his way into the pawnshop when the shooting happened! I have had my business here in downtown since 2011, but just moved to down here and I had no idea that this violence was still happening in this neighborhood, nor did I know we don’t have enough city officials to patrol!

Since this, we have had gangs taggin our building, (newly remodeled), the shooting at the pawnshop(2blocks from my house), last week we had patrol cars blocking the streets on 14th & 12 & E(this is right in front of my building), They had several police with dogs on foot & helicopters searching the neighborhood for several hours,(never did hear what happened), and now last night a hispanic (thought to be gang member) confronted another african american(thought to be gang member) outside of our neighborhood market with a gun(asking him if he had a problem and seriously looking like he was going to shoot him). My husband again was a witness to this as he just went to buy creamer for my coffee in the morning, and then this happens right in front of our neighborhood store at 8:45pm, with the lady who runs the store looking like she thought she too was going to get shot or robbed. We have one really bad building a block away, by the lite rail of course(Sacramento’s Gang and Drug dealing train) – that seems to be the center of these people involved in the gang violence – why arent the police parked out front! There are alot of kids in this neighborhood, I know there are a few developers who are serious about flipping these neighborhoods and getting these people out of here, but why isn’t the city doing anything!!! I have a 2 & 3 year old that have almost been in the middle of two shootings now!

I want to be down here, and so do alot of other business owners, and other individuals! All I hear from peolpe though is I never notice, or alot of bad things seem to happen to you, IGNORANCE is not BLISS – And being AWARE is not COMPLAINING! This is the center of this city and it has allot of amazing gifts to offer, but again what is wrong with our city council & mayor!!! They must be happy out there in their million dollar houses in the suburbs thinking everything fine cuz they live in a gated community. Stand up SACRAMENTO – DO SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR CITY!