2nd Annual Rancho Cordova Soroptimist Spaghetti Feed
Soroptimist International of Rancho Cordova is hosting its 2nd Annual Spaghetti Feed on Friday, October 19, 2012, 6:00-8:00pm at the Rancho Cordova Elk’s Lodge, 11440 Elks Circle, Rancho Cordova. Tickets are $25, which includes all-you-can-eat spaghetti, salad, garlic bread and dessert. In addition, there is a kids costume contest with prizes and dancing, with music provided by DJ Bill Caris. Contact Carol Limbaga at 916-833-2580 to purchase tickets.
This club was chartered three years ago and has already made a significant impact in the community. Some of the projects include:
- Working with Project 680 to provide homeless K-12 students with basic necessities like socks, shoes, toiletries, undergarments, etc.
- Creating “Comfort Kits,” which are full size personal care items inside large heavy-duty zippered tote bags, for women who have escaped domestic violence in our community, since many leave with nothing but the clothes on their backs
- Worked with 4 other local Soroptimist clubs to host a STOP Human Trafficking Symposium
- Treating Kindergarteners to a holiday party complete with gifts, food and personal time with Santa Claus in an elementary school where 90% of the families live below the poverty line
- Providing deserving homeless senior girls with a new Senior Ball dress, shoes and makeover for Senior Ball
- Giving cash Women’s Opportunity Awards to single mothers who are pursuing an associate degree at a community college or trade school or who are pursuing an undergraduate degree
- Giving cash awards to 14-17 aged girls who volunteer and make a difference in their community, with a matching cash award to a non-profit organization of their choice.“
“I am very proud of what our club has accomplished in a very short period of time,” said club president Kelly Morris. “Our goal is to continue these programs and increase the number of women and girls served as well as explore new service opportunities. Last year’s Spaghetti Feed was very successful and we hope this year’s does even better. We have only two big fundraisers per year, the Spaghetti Feed in the fall and Bunco in the spring. These fundraisers allow us to serve the community,” said Morris.
The name Soroptimist, means "best for women," and that’s what the organization strives to achieve. Soroptimists are women at their best, working to help other women to be their best. If you would like more information about Soroptimist International of Rancho Cordova or how to become a member, please contact Julie Schaffer at 916-851-9266 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you aren’t ready to be a member, but would like to volunteer for future projects, please sign up at www.LiveYourDream.org
Disclosure: As charter president of this club, I am particularly proud of the Comfort Kits our club provides to courageous women through WEAVE, having been a victim of domestic violence myself. I'm glad this club makes a difference in people's lives.