A chat with Carmichael Dave, Isaac Gonzalez about arena future, railyards

Join The Sacramento Press as we talk to Here We Build architect Carmichael Dave Weiglein and arena skeptic Isaac Gonzalez about their thoughts on the future of the railyards site and whether it’s appropriate for it to be an arena or a Major League Baseball stadium.

After talks with the Maloof family fell apart earlier this year, Mayor Kevin Johnson explored the possibility of building an arena without an anchor tenant such as the Sacramento Kings.

Arena operator AEG was not on board with the idea sans anchor tenant, putting a gaping hole in plan B.

Plan C, announced Monday, is for Think Big Sacramento to take a couple of months to explore whether a Major League Baseball stadium is a viable option for the railyards, and while Johnson mentioned looking at luring the Oakland A’s to Sacramento, A’s ownership told media outlets Monday afternoon that they aren’t interested in Sacramento at this point.

A video of the chat will stream live here at about noon.

Editor’s note: The chat is now over. Look for an artilcle with video highlights tomorrow morning on SacramentoPress.com.

July 10, 2012 | 12:07 PM

The pink headphones really make it. Really. I can totally take you seriously now.

July 10, 2012 | 12:56 PM

I’m kidding of course. And after the Hello Kitty banter, I get it.

July 10, 2012 | 12:10 PM

Please tell me that this is being recorded… the stream is having issues… (and I’m on SureWest’s 30mb fiber)…

July 10, 2012 | 12:12 PM

It is being recorded. It will be posted as a recording after the chat.

July 10, 2012 | 12:34 PM

Yes, it’s being recorded.

July 10, 2012 | 12:13 PM

Nice one, Dave to give yourself credit for [the name] the fiasco that we now have.

July 10, 2012 | 12:14 PM

Stuffed Hello Kitty? A giant Hard Rock Cafe guitar did NOTHING.

July 10, 2012 | 12:15 PM

Oh Dave. “Draw people” all you want… but if you aren’t drawing profit…

July 10, 2012 | 12:18 PM

MLS??? I’m double-checking Google Maps but this isn’t Brazil…

July 10, 2012 | 12:23 PM

“…I refuse to call it whatever you want to call it…” BRILLIANT… LOL

July 10, 2012 | 12:31 PM

Art galleries are dropping like flies actually.

July 10, 2012 | 12:43 PM

Arco was the constance economic engine of Nato what is this dude talking about. You can’t say that oh stores will close in nato if the kings move and not admit that stores will open if the kings move to an arena in downtown. You cant have it both ways.

July 10, 2012 | 12:55 PM

This is a great point, BillyJames. The economics balance out and perhaps improve overall.

July 10, 2012 | 1:31 PM

Don’t know why you replied this to me, but in looking at the context of the so called Headphones statement I would say that it is a comment on Dave’s appearance and the comment goes on to mock him as if wearing Pink headphones devalues what he says and what he thinks. The comment is fine as you say if its commenting on the object, but it goes further to draw a connection to the speaker and his credibility/person. If you can’t see that then you shouldn’t be judging what is offensive or what isn’t. It also has nothing to do with the conversation. Live by your own rules or continue to establish this as a high school op ed.

July 10, 2012 | 1:50 PM

billyjames4545,

Thanks for your feedback. My comment appeared to have been a reply to your comment because our site does not allow replies to replies (say that five times fast).

I moved it down in the thread.

July 10, 2012 | 1:11 PM

Indeed, if you are not a babyboomer you do not get a pass for a ponytail.

July 10, 2012 | 1:26 PM

Allow me to fix your post, Casey.

Commenting on someone’s appearance is not ok when they are part of our organization. Commenting on a material object worn by someone with views that differ from our own is ok.

Fixed.

I still think his ponytail is ridiculous.

July 10, 2012 | 1:29 PM

Just to clarify, Isaac is not part of our organization. He has his own site, ranSACkedmedia.com.

Also, I don’t believe The Sacramento Press has ever expressed a view on the arena as an organization.

July 10, 2012 | 1:46 PM

Commenting on someone’s appearance, which is different than commenting on a material object worn by someone who is somewhat of a public figure, is off topic and has nothing to do with the conversation.

The topic of this article is the future of the railyards and we hope that you can continue to debate that. If anyone would like clarification of our TOU or Rules of Conduct, please don’t hesitate to email us at support@sacramentopress.com.

The Sacramento Press is an open platform and all users should feel safe expressing their opinions without being attacked about their appearance or otherwise.

Our Rules of Conduct is included in Rules of Conduct, a section of our Terms of Use which can be found here:

As Brandon said, Isaac is not an employee of The Sacramento Press and we do our best to apply our guidelines equitably to all. A user’s opinion on a certain issue has nothing to do with deciding upon removal of a comment or story.

Thanks for everyone’s participation.

July 10, 2012 | 2:03 PM

Alright Casey, you have a point. But please don’t dodge my, or BillyJames’ question. How is commenting on an object worn by Dave alright when the comment was only used to devalue his opinion? The poster didn’t say “nice pink headphones” and leave it at that. He pointed out the color of the headphones and directly attributed them to an inability to take Dave’s views seriously. He was a bit smarmy about, too.

Personally, I can’t take anyone with a ponytail seriously. That’s my view. I’m still trying to grasp what the difference here is. Silly pink headphones and ponytails are both “fashion” choices, so how is laughing at one worse than the other? I understand that NEITHER pertain to the conversation, but one isn’t worse than the other.

Please, explain instead of repeating your original post for the THIRD time. I’ve read the terms and conditions. You’ve contradicted yourself, and before painting yourself further into a corner, please do us a favor and let us all know how one is ok and the other isn’t, especially when neither pertain to the issue at hand.

July 10, 2012 | 3:03 PM

Well, he did later post that he was just kidding so that makes it alright. You obviously should have done that and your comment would not have be taken off. Notice now that the “ponytail” and “pink headphone” vitriol is not being deleted in the later posts for the sensitive masses to make their own opinions about the ethicality of men either wearing pink headphones or publicly curating a ponytail. People write stupid stuff on here all the time including the editors oh well.

July 10, 2012 | 4:06 PM

As mentioned above “Carmichael Dave” has become somewhat of a public figure and public figures are subject to more scrutiny in general.

We are completely transparent about our terms of use but this has gotten really far off-topic from the railyards.

That being said, if anyone would like to discuss this further I’d be happy to discuss this by phone, email or even in-person.

July 10, 2012 | 5:41 PM

So what you are saying is that because Dave is a big fish in the small pound in Sac its okay to belittle the guy regardless of your so called rule book? That is just disgusting cause you are legitimizing it by saying that. A public figure has every right that you do. You just keep the double standards rolling in. That doesn’t make it right. As a professional you can’t pick and choose who to validate more, you set a bad precedence and it makes what you do less legitimate. If you want to be transparent answer the questions here, no one needs to be emailing anyone.

July 10, 2012 | 3:35 PM

Up next: DEBATE: Pink headphones or ponytails? Vote in our reader poll…

July 10, 2012 | 6:33 PM

Dude. How’s this. Bitch about my headphones all you want. I am ABSOLUTELY ok with it. Backwards hats, homeless beard, Hello Kitty headphones (my 4 year old daughter picked them out).

If I’m talking about important things, and people choose to go after my pink headphones instead of the substance, I’ve done well. I am immensely comfortable in my own skin, and I will never be accused of being a poser. This is who I am, not trying to be anyone or anything other than what I want to be.

I also have a big nose and horrid teeth :)

July 10, 2012 | 6:37 PM

PS: I’ll also be wearing pink Hello Kitty headphones while talking to West Sac Mayor Christopher Cabaldon on my show tonight. Conversation is good, whether with Isaac, either regional mayor, a Maloof, or this board.

Carry on all. I think discourse is awesome, whether I agree with the statements or not.