The article page, wha’ happened?

Notice anything different about the site today?

Yup, our article page got a facelift. You’ll notice if you look closely that we haven’t changed any of the buttons that were there, just moved stuff around. We did this in order to accommodate for a new ad space and a brand-new advertising product we just launched, AdGlue.

You can read all about AdGlue here, but I want to give you a short overview. The basic idea is if you are a small business advertiser, anytime you see an AdGlue ad that doesn’t have an ad already “glued” in place, you can click a simple button (only visible to participating advertisers) and glue your ad right in that place. That ad then stays there for 30 days. We think it’s a great new service for our advertisers and really makes them engage with the content and value it.

The Sacramento Press has always been an experiment, with community contribution, with a new platform and now with a new ad system.

The new ad system will eventually scale to other local publishers in our region and, if successful, will scale beyond that. Recently we attended South by Southwest (SXSW), a conference for movies, music and tech attended by tens of thousands of people. They have a contest for top new tech ideas in news and the idea for AdGlue recently placed in the top three. So beyond our own hopes and aspirations, the tech world seems to think we’re onto something good as well.

As usual, I’d love to hear your feedback. Do you hate it? Do you love it? Let us know in the conversation section below.

March 30, 2012 | 12:09 PM

Are the ads on the right hand side bigger than before? I understand the need for ads and revenue, but its pretty distracting as I see it. Feels claustrophobic. Perhaps more padding between the ad and article would help? Reading articles that are closely squeezed in by ads isn’t exactly pleasant, and as a contributor (especially of photos) I would hate to have my work that close to clunky advertisements.

March 30, 2012 | 1:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The ads are larger, but the colum size for text remains the same.

Some padding might help. Right now we’re testing the new system and I’ll pass that along to our design and tech team. Thanks again.

March 30, 2012 | 2:15 PM

Yes, crowded and distracting. I recommend using the Readability browser plug-in. (readability.com).

March 30, 2012 | 3:47 PM

I actually like to see ads for local companies but I have an ad blocker because of problems on other sites and I only see ads here when I use my iPad.

March 30, 2012 | 3:48 PM

Hadn’t really thought about it until now – but I just unblocked my ad blocker for sacpress – I’d like to see who is supporting local creative content.

March 31, 2012 | 7:44 AM

Hey Geoeff, How about working on something for continbutors for a change like makeing it easier to publishing stories, ie like creating an easier system for taging than typing or copy paste.

March 31, 2012 | 2:36 PM

Thanks for your thoughts Bill. We definitely have many ideas queued up to improve the site.

As far as tagging is concerned we actually do offer an easier way to tag your articles when you are writing them. In the tags section you can simply click on the ‘My Top Tags’ that are custom tailored to you and they will automatically be added to your tag list. This is also true of the ‘Featured Tags’ listed right above that. Hope that helps!

For other feedback and feature ideas shoot me an email and I’ll add them to our list!