Temple Coffee reopens in new location

Temple Coffee, a fixture on 10th Street since 2005, moved a block on Wednesday to Ninth Street, where it will have a more open, modern feel, but little else will change.

The move from 1014 10th St. to 1010 Ninth St. was something owner Sean Kohmescher said he had been looking to do for some time, saying the old space didn’t fit the needs of the coffee bar.

“The design of the (new) space is set up much more for conversations and engagement,” Kohmescher said, adding that the old space felt cramped.

Also bigger, at about 2,000 square feet compared to the old location’s 1,450 square feet, the newer one gives a more open feel. Both  seat about 60 people, but the feeling in the new building is more spacious.

“It’s a lot cleaner feeling,” he said. “It’s more modern and fits in more with what Temple is about.”

The old coffee bar shut down on Saturday, and the move was done on Sunday and Monday, with final inspections on Tuesday.

A grand reopening ceremony will be held Saturday, with free coffee and tea, and art shown by painter Ilah Rose Cookston.

Trees felled more than five years ago just a few blocks away were made into tables, which now dominate the interior. Concrete flooring and clean lines, as well as spaces to hang artwork, are the major differences customers will notice from the previous address.

“It has a real community feel,” said Manager Shannon Loudon. “There’s a lot more foot traffic here, and a lot of our regulars live in the lofts upstairs, so they’re happy to see us in the new building.”

She added that a larger patio seating area that will be built in the next week will be railed off and give customers the option to sit inside or outside.

Electrical outlets are provided for the six seats fronting the Ninth Street floor-to-ceiling windows, and wireless Internet will be free once it is installed Thursday.

Regular customer Chester Randle, 61, said Tuesday that he often comes to Temple Coffee on his breaks from his state job.

“The service is fantastic, and the coffee tastes better than Starbucks,” he said, adding that he is glad the coffee bar moved to a location that is still close to walk, and that he will continue to go there.

Another customer, 52-year-old Henry Tavalaro, said he lives next door to the old location and frequented it, but he will still patronize the new location.

“I hope it’s a good move,” he said. “I know they’ve been wanting a bigger place.”

The new space had lain empty before Temple Coffee moved in, and Building Manager Anthony Reda said he thinks the coffee bar will be a good fit.

“Temple is a very well-known coffee and tea shop here in downtown Sacramento,” he said. “Our building is in an area that is about bringing the old and the new together and bringing Sacramento forward with revitalization.”

Temple is now located at 1010 Ninth St. Its hours are 6 a.m. – 11 p.m. every day.

Brandon Darnell is a staff reporter for The Sacramento Press. Follow him on Twitter @Brandon_Darnell.

September 7, 2011 | 2:55 AM

Sounds like a pleasant upgrade! However, I really did like the location of the old Temple on 10th street; it felt very urban and janky, and I loved it. Are there any plans for the now vacant shop? Hopefully another business will come along and prevent the space from sitting empty for years.

September 7, 2011 | 7:47 AM

Hear, hear! The old space was splendidly jank-a-rific. I must repeat my mantra – I will not fear change, I will not fear change, I will not fear change…

September 7, 2011 | 11:02 AM

I’m very interested to check out the new spot, I’ve been a fan of Temple for a while. I will definitely miss the window seating area though and the cottage-like feel of the old building…

September 7, 2011 | 12:23 PM

This actually makes me sad. I liked the cozy, attic feel of what was the previous Temple location. I too, am curious as to what the old space will be used for.

September 7, 2011 | 12:44 PM

Live music venue?

September 7, 2011 | 2:19 PM

For artisan coffee the old place on 10th St. seemed more fitting, rather than going for the urban theme. I’ve walked past the new location, and indeed it is more spacious like the one in midtown.

It would be nice to have another coffee shop open up at the Levinson’s bookstore location; I don’t see the space opening up for something other than coffee. It’s established and the place has great ambience and comfortable feel. Also, the location on 10th St. was definitely more convenient for me as it was closer to my work at the Capitol, and practically next door to Citizen Hotel.

September 7, 2011 | 2:56 PM

Honestly, maybe we missed something in this telling of the story, but I think there was more behind the move. Just sayin’

September 7, 2011 | 9:54 PM

Thanks Temple for supporting the local artists and craftspeople in you move and re-build.

September 7, 2011 | 10:20 PM

The story I heard is that the landlord, Mr. Mohana raised their rent to an absurd amount. Don’t know if it is true and of course the Temple proprieters are professional and would probably never tell, but it would explain the move. The building where they moved to while new, has had trouble renting the retail spaces and having a high-profile local tenant is a smart move, and they may have been able to offer a reasonable long term lease rate.

September 8, 2011 | 6:34 PM

Well what I heard was that the 800 J plaza was heavily subsidized, so perhaps Temple was lured in with below market rent and other concessions.

I wonder if tax payers will get discount on their coffee since the place was funded with tax payer money???

September 9, 2011 | 2:04 PM

and the SHRA will count the “new” Temple employees as “jobs created” in their next fanciful press release

September 9, 2011 | 8:48 AM

Yes, they plan on giving a heavy discount for life to all taxpayers for their massive contribution.

September 13, 2011 | 7:13 PM

Please come down to Temple to see my installation up now thru November 9th!

September 14, 2011 | 5:13 PM

Temple is paying market rent, just not, over market rent as before.

September 23, 2011 | 7:42 PM

My experience in downtown is eventually all subsidized projects and stores have to pay market rate once the honeymoon is over, and then subjected to huge rent increases in the years to follow. As an example, California Kitchen and Brew It Up in downtown which recently closed its doors.

The city should encourage privately funded projects not relying on tax payer money. The public has a tendency to support free enterprise.