No, Not Everyone Who Lives in Roseville wears Ed Hardy

So please stop categorizing us as such.

I’m not sure what it is about you downtown folk. I know firsthand it’s hard as hell to get any of you to leave the grid. Yes, I know, a lot of you don’t own cars, and lord knows you can’t ride your fixie all the way to Rocklin. No, it’s not that far, actually. A lot of us up here drive down there all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. I suppose if I want to see some of my friends I have to come to them? Apparently.

But I digress. I have heard so many times people from Sacramento blast us up here in the ‘burbs. "Oh, they are all Ed Hardy-wearing, steroid-taking, bleach-blond, over-tanned, fake-boobed douchebags who drive BMWs and lifted trucks."

Pretty sure the last time I checked, that’s about 15 percent of the population up here. Don’t act like this "type" isn’t running rampant all over downtown either! All of those mortgage brokers who lost their jobs still live downtown, overpay for VIP booths and act like a-holes when out in public. It’s not just a treat for us up here.

It would be really easy for me to just say all people who live downtown can’t afford to buy a house, a car, are hipsters, wear god awful neon skinny pants and Toms and ride bikes because they are too cool for cars. (Don’t act like you haven’t seen this type all over downtown.) Also, the attitudes on these hipsters! Who died and made them god of "I liked this before it was cool"? Ew. No one likes an arrogant hipster. But me saying this and actually believing it all is just as bad as being stereotyped as a "typical Roseville dude-bro tool."

I live in Rocklin. I grew up here and went to school in Roseville. My entire family lives here. I am quite sure that no one in my family, nor anyone in my huge circle of friends is, was, or ever will be what you all call a typical Roseville "bro." Not all of us have hideous tribal tattoos, wear Affliction, or fist bump our homies.

Perhaps, just perhaps, you should attempt coming up here and seeing what it’s really like. Sure, we have The Fountains and The Galleria with its expensive brand-name stores. But, hey, guess what? We also have Ross, Marshall’s and Target! There are a ton of good restaurants up here, quaint shops in downtown Roseville and even some quality hole-in-the-wall bars (for those of you who prefer a dimly lit, stinky bar that serves PBR).

I have several tattoos, buy my clothes from cheap stores, drink PBR sometimes and love to eat at hole-in-the-wall joints. Oh, and guess what? I drive downtown almost every weekend to a) visit my friends and b) go out. I am always amused when people assume I am from downtown, and by the look of shock and almost horror on said downtown person’s face when I tell them I am from Rocklin. "Really? But you look so downtown!" Not sure if that’s a compliment or not these days.

A recent article on this site said: "To the people of Rocklin and Nouveau Roseville, it is a bastion of filth and homelessness and liberal politics (Did you feel that generalization come sweeping past at warp sweep?)"

I felt compelled to leave my first comment ever on an article on Sacramento Press, and now here I am writing a POV article almost as a rebuttal.

So please, dear Grid Folk, be gentle in your stereotyping ways. I would think that people living downtown with "liberal politics" would be a little more understanding of things foreign to them.

August 28, 2011 | 10:46 PM

Thanks for writing this. Its just cruel enough that it might work.

In most important ways we are one region with many facets. All types of people with all kinds of identities are spread about the whole region.

August 28, 2011 | 10:51 PM

Thank you for the positive feedback! :)

August 29, 2011 | 12:07 AM

I have definitely been one of those who have categorized people in Roseville as such. I’m glad to see from the perspective of someone who has grown up there that that is a small percentage of the population. There are many areas of Roseville and Rocklin that I haven’t explored so I’m sure the little exposure I’ve had has helped create the stereotype. Thanks for sharing your view!

August 29, 2011 | 12:25 AM

You’re welcome! And thank you so much for the feedback :)

August 29, 2011 | 1:13 AM

I’m in Granite Bay after nearly a decade on the grid and your prose is spot on! Simply awesome.

August 29, 2011 | 5:35 AM

Thank you! What made you move from the grid?

August 29, 2011 | 2:14 AM

don’t you make the same type of sweeping generalization that you are condemning? Just as surely Roseville isn’t a homogeneous group of wealthy white pretentious people in Ed Hardy, Downtown isn’t a uniform collection of trust-fund hipsters and unemployed mortgage brokers making ridiculous assumptions about every person in Roseville. Each city has enough of both types of people (not to mention the other 85 percent).

August 29, 2011 | 5:35 AM

That was kind of the point of the whole article?

August 29, 2011 | 3:06 AM

Visiting “BROS-ville” requires a vehicle and gasoline, but last time I went up there I purchased a stack of vintage Garbage Pail Kids cards for a couple of bucks at Denio’s! ;-)

August 29, 2011 | 5:36 AM

Gotta love Denio’s! It doesn’t always require a car. I have a few friends who live dt and work up here and don’t have a car.

August 29, 2011 | 4:24 AM

I’d love to explore Roseville and Rocklin, and shop there more often. But I don’t have a car, and the bus system there is practically non-existent on weekends. Even the “nice” residents of those cities that I’ve met just can’t fathom how somebody can live life without a car. I got told “Oh we don’t want public transit up here. It’ll bring in the ghetto.”

So excuse me if me and my ghetto wallet choose to stay in midtown.

August 29, 2011 | 5:38 AM

I have never ever heard ANYONE up here say that. If anything I’ve heard they want a better public transit system to save us from having to drive in traffic for those of them who work down there.

I apologize for the ONE person who said that to you. Like my article states, most of us don’t think like that and don’t act like that. So to base your entire opinion off of one experience isn’t really giving us up here that much of a chance? :(

August 29, 2011 | 2:14 PM

Transit is an interesting subject in itself. I’d like to learn more about why light rail never made it up to Roseville.

Our offices are at the Amtrak station and for those who are car-less I highly recommend taking Amtrak with your bike up to old Roseville. It’s not what people would expect given the stereotypes.

August 29, 2011 | 6:04 PM

Light rail never made it up to Roseville because Roseville and Placer County aren’t willing to pony up a red cent to fund any transit projects–while Rancho Cordova and Folsom became willing partners to facilitate light rail. The perspective from Roseville was “sure, we’ll tolerate it, as long as Sacramento is willing to pay for the whole thing and be responsible for it,” so of course Sacramento’s quite sensible response was to not build light rail that way.

Considering that the main effect of facilitating mass transit to Roseville would be to make it easier for people to live in Roseville and work in Sacramento (thus taking their property taxes with them), there is no incentive for Sacramento to pay for something that would benefit Roseville and take away from Sacramento, in return for a large capital expense. So, no light rail line.

Shalini may not have heard those folks, but I have heard it plenty. Growing up in Citrus Heights without a car, and without any desire to own one, is considered just short of insanity: car ownership and driving is considered the required ritual of adulthood and participation in society. Riding public transit is the mark of the untouchable, the contemptible, and the otherwise unworthy. Maybe things have changed somewhat, but I still hear some pretty toxic comments about public transit, mostly from people who never ride it, nor visit downtown Sacramento, and are utterly unwilling to do so.

August 31, 2011 | 9:27 AM

I’ve lived in Citrus Heights for about 4 years now. I’ve also lived in N.Highlands, Land Park Area, Orangevale, and Fair Oaks. In the 2nd year of living in Citrus Heights my car was totaled and I in turn had to ride public transit for 7 months before I was able to buy a new car. In those 7 months I was ogled, harassed, asked for money on several occasions, and asked for various other unmentionable things…

I would never again ride public transit unless I was put in the same situation again. I think a lot of the toxic comments regarding the public transit come from those types of situations rather than people who think they are too good to ride it, have never ridden, and would never ride it. I just prefer not to be harassed that early in the morning or late in the afternoon after a long day at work and I don’t think I should have to deal with being harassed just because I am in public. Due to budget cuts the police and security officer force was almost nonexistent on the light rail unless it was the beginning or the end of the month and even then they are only there to check people’s tickets and kick the people who don’t have one off the train. I watched a woman being harassed for a good 15 minutes, there was a police officer standing only a few feet away who kept his head down while this was happening. The only reason it stopped was because other patrons stood up and said something. INSANITY. Would I prefer to not drive a car an hour and a half to get from Citrus Heights where I live to South Sacramento where I work? Hell Yes! Would I prefer to not have to pay close to $200 in gas a month just to drive to all my destinations? Hell Yes! Will I put up with or force my daughter to put up with harassment and the insanity that comes from merely sitting on the light rail in order to do so? Um… No thank you. Get more cops out there to clean up the issues and maybe I would consider it again.

I think the main message of this article is that people just need to live and let live and stop putting other people into “boxes” when they don’t know where those boxes came from or why they are there. Everyone is different and that’s why different situations work for different people. Alas this will never happen because it is the human condition to judge others even though we are probably guilty of the exact same thing we are judging them for.

Kudos to you Shalini for writing this article and for having an opinion!!

August 31, 2011 | 6:38 PM

Thank you so much! And thank you so much for putting that public transit thing into perspective. I know several people who live downtown, who ride RT and HATE it just for that reason exactly.

I am glad you got the message I was trying to convey, instead of just reading and blindly judging. :)

August 31, 2011 | 8:26 PM

Is harassment on public transit something that is inherent to public transit, or is it something that could be solved if public transit mattered enough to people to find a solution?

I ride public transit a lot, although I’m a creepy looking guy so one assumes I avoid much drama. But my wife also takes transit, and has done so without incident, so it seems like not everyone’s experiences are the same.

Meanwhile, one of the reasons I got sick of the suburbs was because I did get harassed by people in cars! Once I was sitting at a bus stop in Citrus Heights and some guy in a truck berated me because apparently my socks weren’t manly enough.

August 29, 2011 | 5:40 AM

I could never live in the grid cuz I like my space too much. However, I love my gridkid friends and think they rock! Some of the coolest people I know and I do envy that they don’t have to drive a car to get around if they don’t want to. Oh and I live in Elk Grove but hell if I wear Affliction garbage. I shop at Ross and kohls and drive an ugly ford focus with partial zero emissions. I also have purplish hair, tattoos and piercings but bump rap And country music in my car. LoL good luck with stereotypes there. Gridkids and Burbkids that 30ish get along great….why can’t the rest of you

August 29, 2011 | 5:48 AM

I will agree, as we get older, the more the stereotypes seem to fall to the side. Most of the time I would hear the blaring disdain for us up in the ‘burbs from 20 somethings who obviously know everything. Here and there I still hear it from some 30 somethings also.

Steph- the article wasn’t a jab at the grid kids, it was a jab at the stereotypes that they believe about us up in the burbs, and the misinformation that they spread about it. You know I love my grid friends too.

(When you’re awake more re-read what I wrote LOL)

August 29, 2011 | 6:29 AM

Get over it.

August 29, 2011 | 8:33 AM

Many of those downtown folks (such as myself) grew up in the suburbs, and know what it is like firsthand. I grew up in Citrus Heights, and found I generally didn’t care for it–and, as I have gotten older, while I do visit that neck of the woods sometimes, I haven’t ever regretted the decision to move, other than sometimes wishing I had moved here earlier.

It isn’t necessarily about the people–it’s more about the place. I drive through Roseville or Elk Grove and can’t tell where I am. Sure, they have a Marshall’s and Ross and Target–so does every city everywhere. Take photos across the country of places like this, you need to check the license plates on the cars to even tell where you are. Part of the appeal of a place like midtown Sacramento is its sense of place–its identity that makes it like nowhere else. Roseville has a little slice of this along Vernon Street, but it is shrinking in the face of development.

And part of the grumpiness which some central city residents express for residents of the suburbs has nothing to do with where they buy their clothes, their tattoos (or lack of them) or the number of gears on their bike. It has to do with the seeming assumption many have that Midtown is some kind of Disneyland playground, set up exclusively as a party zone, and people don’t actually live there. Or at least that’s how many behave. Not all, I assure you–but enough to give the bad reputation.

August 29, 2011 | 10:08 AM

There is a huge population of us suburbanites that appreciate what downtown is, and how special it is. AND how we do not have that kind of aura up here. It sucks when the small few go there and ruin it for the rest of us.

My basis for this piece was to prove that stereotypes are everywhere, and none are better than the other. Also, for people to step out of their comfort zones and expand, explore new horizons….instead of choosing not to do so based on rumors.

South Sac has a horrible reputation, but some of my best friends live there, great eateries, and shops etc. I don’t keep myself from going because people think it’s “ghetto”. It is part of the Sacramento area and I would like to experience what it has to offer.

August 29, 2011 | 5:46 PM

Shhhh! Nobody in the suburbs knows yet that all the cool kids are moving to Oak Park and South City Farms, where the rents are lower and to be closer to the cheap street-taco and banh mi places!

August 31, 2011 | 7:00 AM

You are absolutely correct as to why Central City residents are “grumpy” about the suburbanites in Sacramento.

August 29, 2011 | 9:00 AM

I saw a similar situation on an episode of “Saved By The Bell”

August 29, 2011 | 9:30 AM

Cmon SacPress, this reads like a piece from a high school newspaper.
A quality op-ed could be made about this topic, but this aint it.
It comes off instead as reactionary, defensive, immature and really self-absorbed.

August 29, 2011 | 12:45 PM

I disagree, Renaldo. I thought it was well written and a breath of fresh air! Although I’ve lived in downtown/midtown for over 20 years now, I’m sharp enough to spot and appreciate satire easily enough. I don’t doubt that the writer is venting her well deserved frustration, but she does it with a good tongue-in-cheek humorous manner. Thanks for the laugh on a Monday, Shalini, and for holding up a broken mirror to us midtown “hipsters.” Keep it up!!

August 29, 2011 | 2:22 PM

In addition to our editorial content this site is made up of contributions from the community, with no gate-keeping on behalf of The Sacramento Press. Because of that openness all kinds of articles get submitted.

What I find the most wonderful about this article, is not the article itself, but a person willing to put a tough point of view out there, spark conversation and then participate civilly in that conversation.

If you believe you could write a better opposite editorial, then this site is perfect for you, because you can! And I would love to hear your point of view as well. We also offer many services to amateur writers to help them improve, from workshops (always free) to free copy editing.

I do hope to see you write your first article and I appreciate you reading and contributing comments to The Sacramento Press.

August 31, 2011 | 4:26 PM

I can’t believe 12 people didn’t like Renaldo’s comment. but then again the general population doesn’t write for a living and has a fifth-grade reading/vocabulary level understanding. Seriously, it’s statistically proven. But those of us who do write for a living I’m pretty sure agree with you, we’re just a smaller demographic, and probably smarmilly trolling around on our fixies acting unimpressed… blah.

August 31, 2011 | 4:28 PM

Geoff, I agree with minimal gatekeeping on comments, but not posts. This is trashy and will keep SacPress at a substandard level in the press. But I don’t blame you for applying some overt 1st amendy mentalities to the project. That I do find kind of cool. This post, not so much.

August 29, 2011 | 9:32 AM

I see what you’re trying to convey here (you stereotype us so I’ll stereotype you) but you go off a little too long about “hipsters” & “downtown folk” to the point where this comes off as pretty negative.

August 29, 2011 | 9:37 AM

So your answer to being negatively stereotyped as a Jersey-Shore poser is sto stereotype others as hipster posers?

August 29, 2011 | 10:03 AM

missing the point. and the part where i said: “But me saying this and actually believing it all is just as bad as being stereotyped as a “typical Roseville dude-bro tool.”"

August 29, 2011 | 11:09 AM

You can’t get the best of both worlds by taking the high and low roads at the same time. Posting mocking pictures and descriptions of midtowners and then saying that you don’t believe in what you’ve listed is like telling a friend “I could call you a lying, manipulative, backstabbing hag, but I won’t sink to your level.” Still, it ‘s a good subject to bring up to both communities. You’ve obviously sparked a good discussion here.

August 29, 2011 | 2:52 PM

Most if not all of the perceptions and stereotypes talked about in the above article are ones that I have heard before. Stereotypes that portray Central City folk as hipsters are quite prolific, as are stereotypes that portray suburbanites as narrow-minded.

Overall I think the discussion here is quite excellent, with very little pure emotion and name calling. This article clearly has sparked great discussion.

August 29, 2011 | 3:54 PM

“Is there no way to observe a stereotype and not be levying an insult at the same time?”

Of course, but complaining about categorization and then doing the same is a different matter.

August 31, 2011 | 4:29 PM

but you still said it.

August 29, 2011 | 9:42 AM

Funny how the midtown defenders fail to see the satire of this piece.

August 31, 2011 | 10:51 AM

We do? That’s funny.

August 29, 2011 | 10:03 AM

It seems like most “midtown defenders” see the attempt at satire & think it failed.

August 29, 2011 | 10:49 AM

This isnt satire, this is a poorly-written piece of axegrind.

August 29, 2011 | 10:06 AM

I grew up in rocklin/roseville and live in midtown now so i think i am qualified to chime in.

While roseville is a nice area to raise a family, it lacks several critical components that define a well balanced community. Franchise chains have destroyed local businesses. Antiquated planning makes traveling in that area a serious nightmare. Neighbors spend an entire lifetime living next door yet dont even know each others name. Xenophobia runs deep in those parts.

Suburban sprawl is uneconomical, unsustainable, and a result of decades of selfishness.

Many who live in that area travel to midtown and have so many ‘opinions’ on homelessness and local issues. Let me just say if youre going to complain about Sacramento County you should live in Sacramento County, not Placer.

August 29, 2011 | 10:17 AM

So you’re saying those who work in Sacramento, spend 8+ hours a day there 5+ days a week have no room to talk about what is going on in the city?

We are considered part of The Greater Sacramento Area. We have interests on what goes on there, or are we not allowed to?

August 29, 2011 | 10:26 AM

If you make your money in one county and spend most of it in another then I’m afraid your opinion is worth a bit less yes.
By the way, it is bad form to lurk on your own article responding to every post. This isnt your blog.

August 29, 2011 | 10:41 AM

Excuse the blunt rebuttal but ‘Yes’

One of the largest errors of modern Americanism is the assumption we can ‘save the world/country/state’ when the solution lies in enforcing strong values and sustained involvement in the local community. Roseville’s City Councils idea of a ‘community’ is expanding the parking spots at the mall.

Instead what we find is people being forced to commute to sacramento due to work (because roseville sucks for jobs) – spending now more than an hour in their car driving straight into their garage totally ignoring the issues that urban dwellers must face then have the audacity to drop words of wisdom on the homelessness problem in ‘their area’ over a steak plate at chilli’s/denny’s/red robin/bucca de beppo/cheesecake factory/ etc…..

All im saying is Roseville Rocklin should be worrying more about Roseville Rocklin and less about Sacramento.

August 29, 2011 | 2:03 PM

I spent about 25 years living in Roseville, and I can’t say there was much xenophobia. Rather the opposite, as most of my neighbors (whose names I knew, whose kids I went to school with and whose dogs I watched when they were out of town) would take trips to Europe, or at least dream of doing so.

I moved to Midtown for the simple fact that I enjoy city life more than urban life, at least for now. I like walking places, and Roseville didn’t really work out in that way for me.

I never have understood the petty whining between places that are 15 minutes apart. Or even 15 hours apart by plane. My friends in Paris, when I lived there, were the same as my friends in the United States. They just spoke in a different language and thought all Americans ate McDonald’s every day and carried pistols stuffed in their jeans pockets.

I’ve never worn clothes by Ed Hardy, Affliction, Tapout or any of the other ones that are similar, even when I lived in Roseville, but I also don’t think that makes me any better than (or essentially different from) those who do.

August 29, 2011 | 6:10 PM

If responding to your own article is bad form, my form is just terrible–I think some of my responses to feedback on previous articles here are longer than the original article! And one of the nice things about Sacramento Press is that it shares some elements of blogging and online forums with elements of online journalism: posting a story here is like starting a thread on an online bulletin board, provoking discussion that allows you to expand on, and often defend, the statements one made in the article. The writer is not an assumed authority, but an individual within a community, and others in this community may provide support–or counterpoint.

August 29, 2011 | 10:27 AM

The way you take a story that’s been written about thousands of times (while adding nothing new at all) is revolutionary.

August 29, 2011 | 10:45 AM

It is new in that it’s coming from her.

August 29, 2011 | 1:55 PM

You’re just pissed cos she drew a picture of you!

August 29, 2011 | 2:01 PM

Your comment as always is a breath of fresh air, a really fresh voice and idea. Your thoughts on here are, as always, truly unique and never, ever repetitive.

August 29, 2011 | 2:54 PM

Although the issue has been brought up many, many times before, so have many issues, like hunger, racism, poverty, and many other issues, both serious and trivial in nature. And though this issue is in no way comparable to poverty when it comes to severity, it does have at least one thing in common. It is an unresolved problem that involves a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding on both sides.

Until a problem is resolved, it is always worth speaking more about it.

August 29, 2011 | 10:33 AM

I’m not from Sac and have always lived in midtown. So tired of hearing Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom bashing. It was the same when I lived in the city. Marina is full of dbag trust funders, Mission is skinny jean hipsters etc etc…great article and accurrate.

August 29, 2011 | 10:45 AM

Renaldo, I disagree. The fact that the author is responding to all of the comments furthers the conversation. I think it’s great when the author of a story is active in the conversation thread.

August 29, 2011 | 10:48 AM

And I think it can have a “chilling” effect among posters that may want to contribute but dont want the author reflexively popping up 8 minutes later to get defensive as the author comes from a position of implied and imagined authority.

No one is saying that the author shouldnt post any responses at all but this is a bit much.

August 29, 2011 | 10:53 AM

Each person has his or her opinion and it’s fair for both to be able to communicate and back up the points they make as they feel necessary.

August 29, 2011 | 11:39 AM

Reynaldo – why so bitter about this whole thing? You haven’t had ONE positive or constructive thing to say. This is my first article written on the site, and after your comments and snide remarks it almost makes me not want to ever write again. I thought this was a COMMUNITY site.

I’ve never been one to open my mouth and just let people say what they want and sit back and watch. If I feel the need to reply…I reply. There are no rules saying the author can’t communicate with her readers. Perhaps you should try it more?

August 29, 2011 | 2:24 PM

Ok, I’m about to get myself into trouble, but I think Renaldo is right about replying to so many comments.

Of course we don’t ban it or anything, but I have seen situations where serious discussions of public consequence get squashed because people are afraid of one dominant figure shouting them down. It can sometimes have a chilling effect.

That said, This is Shalini’s first article (on SP at least), it is good and passionate and raw in my opinion and I’m glad we have that on the site.

This is a rule of etiquette in many forums and public blogs and it is one people learn over time – or abuse. I think Shalini will be more the former than the latter.

August 29, 2011 | 10:51 AM

Do I need to label myself “Guilty As Charged” for leveling some of the sweeping-at-warp-speed generalizations to which you refer? I know I proffered that all of the Midtowners who cringe at the idea of a downtown sports arena regard the Rosevillian and Rocklinite Kings season-ticket holders as “the braying, face-painting, chest-beating bastion of Sarah Palin Nation . . . the distilled essence of the dreaded ‘mainstream’”.

Me personally? Well, I grew up in [ahem] Citrus Heights, BUT — we were only three blocks from the Placer County line, i.e., Roseville! I moved to Midtown (except way back then nobody called it “Midtown”, it was still “downtown”) when I was in my mid-20s because, naturally, I wanted to be cool. Subsequently, I spent so many years being cool by swilling PBR in scuzzy bars that now I’m stuck here, because I can’t afford a nice house in Roseville or Rocklin. HOWEVER, I do shop at Macy’s as opposed to Purple Heart, and favor dress slacks to skinny jeans.

My parents now live in Rocklin. I was just up there over the weekend. You know what they need in Rocklin? A little more beige stucco.

August 29, 2011 | 10:43 PM

They could use some more unused bike lanes and sidewalks to no where too.

ccc
August 30, 2011 | 11:43 AM

Thank you. the term “midtown” is sheer pretension, vague and consequently overused. It is all downtown and always has been. pretension.

August 30, 2011 | 1:36 PM

Someone pointed out that the use of the term “Midtown” has increased as the visibility of Ground Chuck has decreased.

August 29, 2011 | 11:02 AM

“It is new in that it’s coming from her.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(You are a managing editor, which is hilarious! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!)

August 29, 2011 | 11:07 AM

Glad you continue to read The Sacramento Press. Keep the comments coming!

August 29, 2011 | 2:32 PM

Actually, this comment is very revealing. Colleen is right that the passions and interests of our community matter to us. They matter because we media exists only in relation to them.

Some issues get covered over and over again, but often are covered with the same viewpoint by the same people with the same employer. They are often great at their craft, but lack authenticity and direct experience. Shalini may grow into her craft or maybe not, but we respect her authenticity.

I’m glad our platform encourages this kind of post and conversation. I am also proud of our staff for recognizing that community engagement is of primary importance for our mission.

August 30, 2011 | 1:10 PM

I’m just glad you guys didn’t start pretending you were doctors.

August 29, 2011 | 11:04 AM

While Midtown and Roseville/Rocklin (it’s funny that they’ve been combined into one city herein) may be in different counties, it’s a disservice to mentally separate the two. Roseville/Rocklin as well as other Placer County towns (Auburn, Lincoln, etc.) are an integral part of the greater region’s culture too; that’s why Sac Press covers Placer Co. as well as Sac, Yolo and ElDo. I work with high school students at a public school in Rocklin, and the unfortunate reality is that this us-and-them mentality is becoming very palpable amongst high school aged youth as well. Many of them consider them Downtown/Midtown to be a “scary” place to come. Many of them would go so far as to avoid shows at Luigi’s Fungarden or even Dance Gavin Dance night at Concert in the Park because of that perceived fear. It’s fine to have barstool conversations about the real or perceived lifestyle differences between the thrift store porkpie and the $125 straight-bill designer lid , but when it starts permeating to youth who buy into the perceptions before experiencing the reality, we’ve got a problem…

August 29, 2011 | 11:43 AM

” It’s fine to have barstool conversations about the real or perceived lifestyle differences between the thrift store porkpie and the $125 straight-bill designer lid , but when it starts permeating to youth who buy into the perceptions before experiencing the reality, we’ve got a problem…”

BINGO. Nicely put!

August 30, 2011 | 12:35 PM

A. Davis’s “comments” above seem similar to those of a reporter with the inklings (just hadda use the word!) of a feature story pitch… and hints of journalism skills, too. Refreshingly uncommon among these hackneyed “contributor” environs in this exhausted reader’s view.

Watching new contributor S. Chandra’s birth (or lamb @ slaughter!) process unfold, however, feels unseemingly if not outright perverse. But apparently the (Castle Press? Macer Media?) biz model aint dead yet. Like fresh blood and guts along the freeway…

August 30, 2011 | 12:52 PM

MidtownSquinter, thank you for the comments regarding my wordsmithing. Shalini’s maiden voyage on Sac Press is perfectly representative of the core of our mission, which is to provide community members a platform to deliver messages that they deem relevant to those who live in the greater Sacramento area. We pride ourselves in hosting a forum where both experienced reporters and first-time journalists can play on the same field and make their voices equally heard. For a first-time writer to post a story that has garnered 86 responses (and counting) from community members is phenomenal. I can’t wait to read her next post, and I also can’t wait to see who our next first-time contributor will be that sparks a similarly inspired discussion.

August 29, 2011 | 12:16 PM

i found this article to be extremely entertaining! great job, shalini!

August 29, 2011 | 12:56 PM

I get the satire and understand the “living in the grid life” vs “living in the burbs” attitudes. I think the article could’ve done with a thourough edit. I understand this is the writers first attempt, but more thought process should be put into the content and a nice story flow and less on tongue-in-cheek buzz words. I found it hard to read. That being said, I do not want the writer to shy away because of a few negative comments, but instead try, try again.

August 29, 2011 | 6:19 PM

I actually had sent the article to a copy editor, and had re-done several parts of it. This was the final version.

August 30, 2011 | 2:57 PM

Like, Like, like Like, love this comment, Maybe leave writing to people who do it professionally. Just cuz you speak the language daily doesn’t mean you know how to use it properly.

I say, as I normally do, Research something and have good backing support and evidence before opening your mouth. I think some theological document, probably Christian Bible, states something along the lines of a fool speaks often a wise man knows when to speak and when to keep silent.

or… A fool’s lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.
or… The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge, but the mouths of fools feed on folly.
or…The wise lay up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool brings ruin near.

August 29, 2011 | 1:41 PM

When does a stereotype stop being a stereotype? We all know that some things are politically incorrect to point out, But the bottom line is that these things are often times true.

I enjoyed her irreverent and sweeping generalization of both folks in the ‘burbs and on the grid. It was a comedic break from all the madness going on around us.

Renaldo Et alia-

Have a cocktail and relax.

August 30, 2011 | 2:52 PM

I found it neither comedic nor fun, but mainly unimaginative fodder to add to the argument.

August 29, 2011 | 4:00 PM

Meh who cares? If you live in Roseville and you like it good for you. Since I grew up in that kind of environment in Southern California I would never want to ‘live the experience’ again. Not that Midtown Sacramento doesn’t have it’s drawbacks. Mostly having to do with it not being urban enough for my tastes. But to each his own. At least we don’t live in Carmichael, huh? I will take Joe’s advice now.

August 29, 2011 | 4:07 PM

Geoff and I both grew up in Carmichael. I like the place.

August 30, 2011 | 2:51 PM

Same here, OC 29 years, dont’ need to do it again.

August 31, 2011 | 10:14 AM

Good for you Ben. I’m sure it has charms and I have just missed them. Maybe some day someone will point them out to me.

August 31, 2011 | 10:47 AM

Have you ever been to Ancil Hoffman Park? That alone is worth going to Carmichael.

August 29, 2011 | 4:06 PM

nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks nerds and jocks

August 29, 2011 | 6:19 PM

Sam- which one are you?

August 31, 2011 | 11:26 AM

Imfmenace is old 1program (on the computer of former Hollywood writer living in old Fair Oaks) that has gone wonky and can now only repeat the premise (protagonists and antagonists) of dated 1980′s frat house movies.

August 29, 2011 | 4:18 PM

This has been fun….a pretty interesting & entertaining conversation so far.

August 29, 2011 | 4:29 PM

BTW – do I actually have to go to Roseville to buy an Ed Hardy shirt or can I find a place that sells them in Sacramento?

August 29, 2011 | 4:52 PM

You can get an Ed Hardy-designed pizza box at Pizza Rock.

August 29, 2011 | 4:55 PM

gross

August 29, 2011 | 5:43 PM

Downtown hipsters have been irritating people since they were hanging out in West End jazz clubs snapping their fingers to bebop and swing in their zoot suits, while the squares shook their heads and clucked their tongues in disapproval. It’s a Sacramento tradition!

August 30, 2011 | 2:49 PM

I think the hipsters would say the same about the squares. Just cuz they’re square doesn’t mean they aren’t equally as annoying.

August 29, 2011 | 7:01 PM

Good, bad, or indifferent, I wish every article worthy of debate on sacpress had 70+ comments.

August 30, 2011 | 12:43 PM

So do I, sir, but I so seldom find any here.

Worthy of, that is…

including this author’s (edited!) first blunt stab.

August 29, 2011 | 10:36 PM

Yes, please fight generalizations with more generalizations. Keep the rants on the social networks please.

August 29, 2011 | 10:56 PM

I love how everyone thinks of midtown Sacramento as “urban.” I believe metropolitan is the term best used here. Midtown Sacramento is not a destination location except for the youth in the surrounding suburbs and maybe the bay area. Furthermore, the midtown hipster. Angry with anything that has to do with anything suburban. And for what reason? Sounds like lower-economical class warfare to me. Bottom line….NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE IN MIDTOWN EXCEPT FOR KIDS WHO WANT TO RIDE THEIR BIKES AROUND AND GET DRUNK. BOTTOM LINE. Midtown is not urban!!!!

August 29, 2011 | 11:09 PM

um…didn’t you say you lived in Midtown just a few hours ago? Are you a drunken bike rider kid, then?

August 31, 2011 | 11:55 AM

Don’t use terms you don’t understand and there’s no need to shout. Why so angry at midtown? Yes you are right – everyone knows Midtown is a dirt cheap place to live. That’s why the low-no income kids who can only afford bikes and cheap booze want to live in this suburban hell hole. No you would be much better off moving to a grown-up wonderland like say -Sun City. I hear it is great.

(OK now the arbitrary and bias monitors of this site can remove another comment they don’t like because I used the word “hell”)

August 29, 2011 | 11:57 PM

I have lived in midtown for over ten years, except for a few in sf, and that’s pretty much all there is here. What’s your point?

August 30, 2011 | 12:17 AM

the point is you saying “..NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE IN MIDTOWN EXCEPT FOR KIDS WHO WANT TO RIDE THEIR BIKES AROUND AND GET DRUNK. BOTTOM LINE.”

yet YOU live there :-p

August 30, 2011 | 12:28 AM

Yes I live here. We know this already. I’ve lived in other cities as well. Midtown is made up largely of young adults from the immediate surrounding area. Again, what is your point?

August 30, 2011 | 2:43 PM

Amen dude.

August 30, 2011 | 3:28 PM

And you eat butt at responding to the right comment.
Great boarding, Urkel.

August 30, 2011 | 2:05 AM

As an outsider who has been to and lived in (for short period of times) in both of these places and Davis, plus other downtown/suburbs across the country. I have to say, who gvies a f*ck…
Shalini had an interesting point and I laughed at the pic, because that is what I saw in midtown. Her generalization is spot on from what I saw and I was one of those guys drinking PBR in both Roseville (when you can find a sh*tty enough bar that has it) and midtown… This is hilarious… if you wanna grow up, go to Roseville, or stay in midtown because it i never never land…

August 30, 2011 | 9:16 AM

Thanks for taking the time to read my column and to quote it in your article. The point of an opinion piece should not be to have everyone fall in behind you like complacent sheep, but to use it as a starting point for discussion; congratulations on an obvious success! I hope you continue to contribute.

August 30, 2011 | 2:14 PM

Thank you very much! :) That means a lot coming from the author who inspired me to write here!

August 30, 2011 | 2:42 PM

I mostly agree with the first statement. It should be the basis for a discussion, but the original statement will be the foundation for how the discussion proceeds and most likely, will be conducted. If it merely becomes a rant and is in fact doing what it says is aggravating, I find that an interesting and dangerous way to start a “discussion”.

August 30, 2011 | 10:09 AM

15%?!? That is way more than I expected. My assumptions are founded and confirmed by your article.

August 30, 2011 | 10:10 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

August 30, 2011 | 2:39 PM

So, what I hear you saying based on this: “Yes, I know, a lot of you don’t own cars, and lord knows you can’t ride your fixie all the way to Rocklin. No, it’s not that far, actually. A lot of us up here drive down there all the time. ALL. THE. TIME.”

… is that people love coming to the city and you’re basically bitter at friends who don’t come out of the city to see you in near the middle of nowhere.

Could this be because maybe, A. the city is chalk full of stuff to do in a small sq. mileage? B. Fixies are a sensible way to get around such a dense population without having to rely on public transit. (Maybe people could get a little more creative with their disses and quit making the fixed gear bike a go-to for insult throwing at the urban crowd.) C. Most of us work hard and pay ridiculous rent to live in a place that saved us from the suburbia you stagnate in? D. If the Ed Hardy fits…

Also, I have no patience for an article that says, “don’t stereotype us, look on the inside,” and then proceeds to bash a group for its stereotypical aspects. – even if this is done so jokingly. For the record, stereotypical hipsters are just as annoying and sad as complacent suburbanites who bitterly deflect how jealous they are at people who actually left the shell of their place of birth and tried something different, and were maybe changed by the experience. Yes, they seem unimpressed, you would too if you’ve seen a tenth of the crap we do on a weekly basis, simply on the walk home.

August 30, 2011 | 2:56 PM

I read your reply on your tumlbr blog. A couple of things. I have lived elsewhere. SF, other countries, and all parts of Sacto to be exact. I never said in my article that I hadn’t.

Also- What you see downtown on a daily basis is something I’m pretty sure we see up here also. Have you seen the homeless, mentally ill, poor people who hang out near the rail yards up here?

I AM downtown a lot. So I do in fact, see what you see in your own domain even.

I’m guessing most people who replied to this article, didn’t see the reference for which inspired me to write this in the first place.

August 31, 2011 | 8:31 AM

I like that this article has apparently attracted the attention of folks outside the Sacramento area–this blogger appears to be based in San Francisco. I assume she is aware that you’re talking about downtown Sacramento and not San Francisco. It’s far from being a solely Sacramento issue–every regional metro area has some kind of designated or unofficial “hot zone” these days, or more than one, and they all have suburbs–and typically there is a subset of those in the suburbs who long for a place downtown.

Which raises the point, Shalini–why haven’t you moved downtown yet?

August 31, 2011 | 9:49 AM

Considering I go to CRC I have considered it. But mainly because I can’t afford it right now. Don’t get me wrong, I love that my whole family is up here, and love it up here. But I would totally live downtown! (Which I don’t think a lot of people understand).

But, financially right now it’s more feasible for me to live with family as I am a FT student, and very little work hours :(

August 31, 2011 | 5:05 PM

Obviously you’ve been downtown if you’ve seen a hipster on a fixie enough to openly mock the demographic. I apologize for getting the “where you’ve lived” part of the facts misread and poorly assumed but again I made my assumptions based on the supports you provided, and again, you provided almost no support and therefore a poor argument position, literally the title of my blog.

Not saying you don’t have interesting thoughts (as well I stated that), but don’t think that since you have them you need to puke them out into the public stream of consciousness, especially if you aren’t working to back them up, and especially if you’re just complaining about something. Blog or tweet it on some personal channel, not a noted news source.

Basically this blog post was a waste of space. Maybe take a journalism course before the next one, where they teach you to support the claims you make. You can get sued on some “extreme” cases, not saying there are any here, but for future reference.

Also, I really don’t expect you to see any truth or logic in my argument because you’re operating in super defensive mode – this was your baby and you worked on it, I just don’t think you worked on it hard enough.

Please don’t waste the public’s time with a half-(bleeped*) attempt. (the following change was made per the SacPresses request), not to be too harsh but maybe we should have screened the author’s post with have the verve.)

Also, maybe people haven’t read the other blog you’re discussing, did you cite if? Provide a link to it? If that’s the last link in your post, all I have to say to that is what a hilarious and awesome read. Did you really think that you were in any way even on the same level as that writer to provide a counter argument, if so, you came up way short or as they say in Knight’s Tale, “you have been weighed, you have been measured and you have been found wanting.” Whatever the specifics of my previous argument toward your argument that is the main theme you need to be gleaning from this…

August 31, 2011 | 6:51 PM

I did link to the article in my article that I was replying to. Also, I actually minored in journalism for a while, and have written in several different online mediums, including examiner.com.

This was hardly my baby, just a matter of opinion that I felt needed to be heard (read).

As for the article that I linked, yes that article was great, but I was more concentrating on her blurb about us suburban folk, rather than the rest of her actual article.

I apologize if my writing standards aren’t as high as yours, since apparently you must write for a living. Not everyone who writes on sites like this, with the average Joe being able to submit articles, will be at your level.

I sent my article to sacpress copy-editing so it WAS actually screened. I’m not sure what else you want?

I don’t consider this a waste of space, and take that VERY personally. It’s almost like you cannot write a reply without attacking. Which kind of shows your character. I have gotten several emails from different sacpress staff applauding my article, how many comments it’s garnered, and for me to be willing to put something like this out there KNOWING it would piss people off.

September 1, 2011 | 10:15 AM

That was the most confusing argument I ever read. Either you minored in journalism or you’re an average Joe. Either you know what you’re talking about or you just threw that tidbit out there to sound like you do.

I really don’t put much weight in the SacPress approval as they let the piece run in the first place and I’ve read the mediator’s comments, sounds like a parent trying to keep their kids from fighting by telling them they’re all wonderful. Of course they like it, you got them increased web traffic. So what.

Maybe you should take the comment personally and let it sink in so that you understand that people aren’t pissed off at your argument, it really didn’t stir that much attention or conversation, but rather the way you went about making it did. It’s garnered so many comments for that reason. Paris Hilton gets a lot of response for making hotel videos and saying, “that’s hot” often, but I wouldn’t read her book. If you did take any amount of journalism then you should understand exactly the points I’m making, because your instructor would have pointed out how to properly make arguments and support them…

Also, I did say that if you were referencing that article that you linked to in your post then all I had to say was that piece was wonderfully written, and it’s even funnier that you think your counter could go up against such a funny piece of writing that was playful and enjoyable to read. I literally could quote me stating that, it’s two posts above. Please read it again carefully this time.

Finally, my apologies, really, for having standards. I should be more like the rest of the population with that fifth grade reading level, hitting up a Twilight novel or two, addicted to reality TV and more knowledgeable of what’s going on with the Kardashians than at the White House.

September 1, 2011 | 10:59 AM

Kelly, I’m happy to see that you have found our site and I appreciate your insights in this conversation section.

The Sacramento Press is a platform that allows anyone to contribute without gatekeeping. Anyone can simply sign up to be a community contributor and start writing. Each article when first posted appears on the front page below the editorially selected articles.

The sentiment of leaving writing to writers is obviously one with which I strongly disagree. To me that is much akin to saying leave politics to the politicians. The Sacramento Press aims to publish and hear as many voices as possible. Each member of this community has a right to speak about issues that concern them.

Our goal is not to filter voices from our site and deny those writers a chance to improve their skills. We work hard to elevate the work people do over time. We do so by offering free copy editing, free workshops on a wide range of topics and general support to our community.

And while increased traffic is of course important to our site, we are far more concerned with elevating our community in general and encouraging increased civic participation. If it was solely profit we were after we could have made far more money opening a Subway franchise than an online community news site.

If you have any feedback about our site, its values, the merits and pitfalls of community contribution or suggestions, feel free to email me: feedback@sacramentopress.com.

September 1, 2011 | 1:38 PM

Geoff, thanks for your comments. I would have to say however, to many of these sentiments I most strongly disagree. I would find it very presumptuous of myself to speak on, let alone, vote on a topic I have little to knowledge of, which is why I only vote on subjects that I’ve researched and have enough background knowledge of to make an informed decision – speaking towards politics.

Similarly, I would not presume to call myself a mechanic because I can change my oil, nor a baker cuz I make my friends some cookies. Those cookies, although I eat them, I would not attempt to sell. As a professional writer, I feel the same about the language which I have spent the last two decades studying, and last decade working in, in several aspects (news, literature, blogging, social media, marketing, and a further list of credentials I could continue to drop, but I feel is a bit childish to point these things out as a support. The writing should speak for itself, and in this case does, loudly.)

Also, I agree with you that writers should not be stifled from attempting to come into the public light, or learn or branch out, how would new writers emerge if not for that? But isn’t that what a blog is for, exactly? Again, my argument has not strayed from that point, not that the piece was written or that validity of the argument, but rather the delivery of the argument and whether or not it was worthy of a news site. Part of being a professional writer is taking the throwback from critics. Just because it is negative doesn’t mean it’s not a solid argument. I’m sure as a news service you are more than able to see that it’s all part of the machine, and that although harsh, the comments that are strongest aren’t attacking the person but rather the writing, and come at the person when the “writer” sought to quelch any negative responses to her work.

To quote :August 29, 2011 | 10:17 AM

or her response to Renaldo, or to me earlier.

And Geoff, again having worked at a newspaper for years previous, I know exactly what kind of profit they are looking to make. Yours was a noble sentiment but one which really holds little weight. Remember how the newspapers, for the last, I don’t know years, have been a dying medium and scrambling to figure how to keep turning a profit so as to stay alive, turning almost wholeheartedly to the Internet and web traffic to solve its dilemma?

(I feel that it’s quite appropriate that I leave my comments here as I noticed you openly addressed them in the comments section rather than emailing your response to me. Any feedback I had to offer your site previous, I did so in contact with one of your staffers, leaving my feedback on what I thought I needed to be addressed.)

But I thank you for supporting my argument on diplomacy earlier with your response.

September 1, 2011 | 1:45 PM

Also to the author from her last comment to myself: The plural for a medium when referring to news or communication means is media, mediums refers to several psychics.

Please note 4 and 6. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mediums

me·di·um (md-m)
n. pl. me·di·a (-d-) or me·di·ums
1. Something, such as an intermediate course of action, that occupies a position or represents a condition midway between extremes.
2. An intervening substance through which something else is transmitted or carried on.
3. An agency by which something is accomplished, conveyed, or transferred: The train was the usual medium of transportation in those days.

4. pl. media Usage Problem
a. media A means of mass communication, such as newpapers, magazines, radio, or television.
b. media (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The group of journalists and others who constitute the communications industry and profession.

5. pl. media Computer Science An object or device, such as a disk, on which data is stored.
6. pl. mediums A person thought to have the power to communicate with the spirits of the dead or with agents of another world or dimension. Also called psychic.

September 1, 2011 | 2:35 PM

Kelly
We understand your opinion that the Sacramento Press should require a certain level of journalistic experience or education, and that content should be restricted to certain predetermined “serious” topics. You have made the point several times that this article does not meet your high journalistic standards.

I am not defending Shalini’s article, since the article is guilty of being youthfully written, trivial, based on stereotypes, and unfair to single speed bicycles etc etc. But I am happy that the SacPress defends Shalini’s ability to write and post this article. If you find an article to be garbage stop reading and move on. Or leave a nasty comment.

But it is truly pathetic for someone who claims to be a journalistic to suggest that a young writer’s work should never see the light of day.

September 1, 2011 | 2:52 PM

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread, but earlier I noticed that you forgot to add an article in one of your first comments (“some theological document, probably Christian Bible, states…”). You can click the “edit” button next to your comment to make any adjustments if you wish to correct this.

September 1, 2011 | 2:55 PM

I want to agree with you, however, she doesn’t claim to be a young writer but rather an experienced one, it’s stated as such above. Also, never said it shouldn’t see the light of day, just the opposite, but noted that it should be in a blog (how many times do I have to write this before it gets through) not a noted news source. And I don’t think it’s pathetic at all to do so, what is pathetic is to attack someone personally as being pathetic or as a “book burner” (really??!?!?!) as you do below. This forum should be conducted respectfully without name calling, but I saw in your profile that you list yourself as an antagonist so… I’d like to let you know that I appreciate your response but it has not antagonized me in the least as it was a paltry low-blow, almost as inept as the article in question.

jjj
August 30, 2011 | 3:20 PM

I really hope Sac Press doesn’t start allowing “articles” like this all the time….why should we all read one girls poorly written opinion on how midtowners think about “the burbs”..when they in fact have never lived downtown…shame on you Sac Press. This is reminiscent of a facebook/blog rant….

August 30, 2011 | 3:47 PM

To me (as a Sacramentan), 100+ comments about a geographically-centered rift over the ethos of our city make an article like this noteworthy. Although your comment does remind me of that Onion article, “‘Most E-Mailed’ List Tearing New York Times’ Newsroom Apart” ( http://onion.com/9ThwnE )

August 30, 2011 | 7:12 PM

We allow anyone to submit an article without any filters. Once that article is posted it must meet our terms of service. The primary point of importance is that it must be about our region.

I do not feel the slightest twinge of shame over this article. The Sacramento Press was built to be, and is, an open platform for the Greater Sacramento community.

The wonderful thing about our site is that you can choose to read whatever you’d like. Beyond just that, which is true of any site, you can use the 100′s of RSS feeds we provide to filter what you read from our publication. If you only want to read what our paid full-time editorial staff writes, we give you the tools to do that. That will allow you to avoid reading what our community contributors write.

You can filter in a number of other ways as well.

If you have any more feedback about our site you can reach me directly by emailing feedback@sacramentopress.com. If you’d like to know more about how to configure a custom set of RSS feeds, please contact support@sacramentopress.com.

Thank you for reading and participating .

August 31, 2011 | 4:20 PM

OMG thank you, whoever you are, literally my response above. Save the writing for writers who take their craft seriously, almost an insult that this stuff gets posted to a known news channel.

August 31, 2011 | 4:20 PM

And Joel I totally disagree, the only reason it’s getting this response is mostly due to it’s A. location and B. fact that people are pissed at the fact that it made it to A.

September 1, 2011 | 2:38 PM

Kudo Geoff and SacPress for providing a great resource for experienced writers and would-be writers alike.

Let the market (in this case the comment section) decide if a writer or he topic is worthy, not book burners like Kelly Strodl et al.

August 30, 2011 | 4:31 PM

I’ve basically split my life between the ‘Burbs and Midtown. Speaking as a grid kid since 1995, there are four major elements of concern directly affecting the neighborhood’s liveability: 1) leaf blowers, 2) bums, 3) parking tickets (they’re now SIXTY dollars), and now 4) people riding their bikes on the sidewalk.

I have yet to see any of these substantively addressed anywhere. Instead, we get bloggers whining about “hipsters”, and oligarchs trying to out-”vision” one another with the forward-looking, vibrant, outside-the-box brochurespeak which has resulted in high-rises being built full of units which go for seven figures — smack dab in the middle of a neighborhood where the median income is about 18 grand a year.

Oh, and lest I forget, there has been the protracted and bizarre public bloviating over the fate of what we called “roach coaches” during that summer I worked construction. Whenever these things became cultural bellwethers, it certainly got past my radar.

Anyway, I would suggest to any would-be policy-maker to ask anybody who has spent any appreciable amount of time living, working, or hanging out in Midtown what the effect would be if the four things I listed were dealt with effectively, and make that your “vision” for the neighborhood.

ccc
August 31, 2011 | 12:46 PM

You can add idiot drivers who don’t signal, drive way too fast for downtown streets, turn right without checking the crosswalk, open doors in bike lanes and don’t give a toss about bicycles, pedestrians or people in wheelchairs. As a rule, i do not utlize the sidewalk for riding but I will take to the sidewalk anytime I deem it life threatening to ride elsewhere.

August 30, 2011 | 7:07 PM

So the moral is that stereotypes are bad…and simplistic…and they live on two way streets…and in idling-Sequoias-in-shopping-centers-with-fountains…as well as in skinny-key-hooked-vomit-stained-jeans…and that these stereotypes can hurt…and that the author is hip and no different from midtowners and shouldn’t have to be grouped in with the rest of the Roseville “culture” because she has tattoos and visits mid/downtown A LOT. OHHHH DON’T YA’LL GET IT….WE’RE ALL ONE HERE FRIENDS……ALL ONE!!! OOOOHH COME FORTH ROSEVILLE AND MIDTOWN BRETHREN ALIKE AND REJOICE!

August 30, 2011 | 9:47 PM

More than a little surprised I. Gonzalez and A. Davis are apparently proud size queens: quantity and quality are not equal measures of… pretty much anything. Counting commenter responses is a fool’s game better left to… non-journalist publishers with obvious other agendas.
Re G. Samek’s comments: So how do I get the RSS feed icons to be even smaller than they already seem to be nearly everywhere on the site, please? Can they be, perhaps, made invisible?

August 30, 2011 | 10:53 PM

Regarding the size of the icons: it’s appropriate for your name, no?

Seriously, though, many people who use RSS look to their browser to find the available feeds. In Safari there will be an “RSS” button in the right side of the address bar that you can click and hold to see all available feeds. Firefox 5 and 6 hides RSS a bit, but you can find them by going to Bookmarks → Subscribe to this page → Name of RSS feed. I’m not sure about Internet Explorer.

Here are some feeds, you can play with their patterns if you want to discover more:

Artlcle Feeds:

Section Page Feeds:

User Feeds:

August 31, 2011 | 11:25 AM

“proud size queen” is the strangest thing I’ve ever been called, and I’ve been called a lot of things.

August 31, 2011 | 2:42 PM

I honestly challenge you to find a more complete system of RSS feeds on any news site.

They are not prominent in our design because so few people use RSS feeds and those who do often use other means to subscribe than the organic logo button on a page. Compounding the problem people place these buttons all over their sites. I have to hunt for them all the time.

We do what we can to have a clean design up front for 99% of our users. We have very deep capabilities that you can access as a power user like the “storyline” tab, tagging systems, a very robust search capability and RSS feeds galore. We are even working on an API for developers.

August 31, 2011 | 12:18 AM

I do not like stereotypes at all. I am a numbers guy. I find that numbers don’t lie.

I have lived in this grid all of my life, except for my attempts at college life. I hear all kinds of things demonizing Rosevillians. I THINK NOTHING OF IT. BUT, when I see trucks of people coming off the freeway to bike and party and get wild in my hood, I explore much deeper. Maybe people from Roseville are different than the villians that invade our local chill spots every weekend. Here in Midtown we are trying to keep things janky but on weekend nights it just gets turbo and duchey. I am sure there will always be evil in ROSevilLE. When any of you burbies come downtown – please behave.

August 31, 2011 | 9:52 AM

I apologize for the small population of douchebags that invade downtown. I know, I’ve seen it first hand, and it disgusts me too. It’s sad that a small group of people can give off the impression that all of us up here are like that.

And yes. We ARE different than the frat boy types that come to party in your hood.

September 1, 2011 | 2:58 PM

If other commenters comments are pulled for near profanity as I’ve noticed mentioned above and I as well had to do, shouldn’t the moderators pull this one above as well for use of the d-bag word? I’m not trying to single out the author just think it would help show the SP as a more objective moderator here.

August 31, 2011 | 4:55 AM

Although I don’t completely agree with every single thing in this article, I found it to have some interesting points. Some are true and some are not yet every point talked about is a valid issue that won’t really be solved until there is a discussion. A lot of you are just hating on what she had to say and telling her she had no right to write this article. I disagree, while some of the things she said obviously came from a place of being tired of being stereotyped, that is what sparked the article in the first place. Being rude is just bad form. Personally, I have lived in both downtown and Roseville. Most of these stereotypes are true among a certain type/group/age of people in those areas. Summing everyone else up into those stereotypes is just wrong and is what is causing most of the problem.

August 31, 2011 | 4:40 PM

I partially agree with you, some people have taken it too far, not sure if you think me one of them, but I would say that the anger comes not from her making the argument it’s the half-bleep complaining way she went about it. This really reads more like a personal blog post, and should have been kept as such – not a post on a news website.

September 1, 2011 | 6:15 PM

My gut reaction is, “Who cares?” This wasn’t a thought-provoking piece that effectively counters the stereotype of the suburbs. There are no valid reasons given. It’s basically just a rant. It’s fine to have an opinion and defend it. But how about doing so with some pith rather than in self-indulgent bombast?

September 2, 2011 | 2:34 PM

I LOVE this article and all the comments because:

1. This is exactly what Sac Press is all about.
2. The article is RAW opinion.

Is there a good amount of people living in Roseville that wear Ed Hardy and act like douchebags? Sure! Is there also a good amount of “hipsters” living in Midtown? Sure, we know that! Everyone’s got an opinion about it, and this just happens to be hers- good for her to post it for locals to read.

Take it for what it is people. It’s stereotypical and contradictory, yet truthful and I think laughable. Sac Press needs more opinion pieces like this. If anything, it would result in increased community participation. (doesn’t the amount of comments on this thread prove that?)

As a side note, if the opinions of other human beings make you unhappy- there are large amounts of other local news stories on Sac Press that you could put your energy towards. One article does not a newspaper make… right?

September 1, 2011 | 11:08 PM

Thank you :) Couldn’t have said it better myself.

September 2, 2011 | 8:08 AM

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
— Isaac Asimov

September 4, 2011 | 10:32 AM

Snobs up in here. Snobs and trolls.

August 29, 2011 | 8:42 PM

I’m glad someone pointed out that this is not unique to Sacramento. However, the reality is that midtown is only the ideal for singles or childless couples and when people grow up and start families, the vast majority will realize that places like Roseville are better areas to raise children.with better schools, houses with actual yards and overall better amenities. And eventually some of those kids will rebel against boring suburbia and move back to midtown to live as young adults and the cycle will repeat all over again.