Best French Fries in Sacramento

Imagine the perfect french fry. For me, it’s medium-crispy on the outside, hot and creamy inside, generously salted and with a distinctive freshly-fried aroma.

Sacramento is blessed with many such perfect fries and my Potato Posse and I set out on a mission to find them. We limited our search to casual eateries that are local to Sacramento. We focused exclusively on basic fries – no blue cheese topping, pungent garlic or dipping sauces to mask their essence. Just the potato and maybe a little seasoning. Size and shape didn’t matter in our survey– the fries could be regular, thick-cut, shoestring, curly (senseless mutations of perfectly good fries) or crinkled.

After much arduous research, we can reveal the top french fries in Sacramento.

#1. Texas West BBQ. The fries at Texas West BBQ (Arden Way location) top the “Best French Fries in Sacramento” list. These fries are hot, brown and crunchy on the outside and flavorfully fluffy on the inside. Their varying fry sizes allow for a nice range of textures and the special seasoning subtly elevates the flavor to the highest level.

#2. Jack’s Urban Eats. We sampled the taters at the Jack’s Urban Eats in Natomas and found them cooked just right and nicely seasoned with salt. I think one of the secrets to perfect fries is for them to be a normal size – not too big or too small – so that the ideal balance between crispy outside and creamy inside is achieved. Not only were Jack’s fries hot and tasty but they also stood up well to travel and were just as delicious after the ten minutes it took to get them home.

#3. Suzie Burger. We greedily gobbled an entire bag of fries at Suzie Burger (29th & P Streets). These fries are winners with their skin-on, crispy brown exterior and nice flavoring. Suzie’s fries are cut on location and then blanched to give them their crispiness. Cooked in canola oil and topped with kosher salt, they’re a fry-lovers delight. If you go to Suzie Burger, consider adding a cheeseburger, soda and a dark-chocolate dipped cone for a complete, classic and supremely satisfying meal.

rph
April 16, 2011 | 8:57 PM

At Suzie Burger, try adding their Philly Cheesesteak!

April 16, 2011 | 9:00 PM

good call

April 18, 2011 | 11:33 AM

I added one to my waistline last night.

April 16, 2011 | 11:34 PM

Mmm – i haven’t had a good philly cheesesteak in years! Looks like i’ll be heading back to Suzie’s

April 17, 2011 | 5:44 PM

Must have been fun to research this article!

April 17, 2011 | 8:31 PM

Can you post a list of all the restaurants that were sampled?

April 17, 2011 | 8:50 PM

The reporter apparently missed the sweet potato fries at Cornerstone…

April 17, 2011 | 9:48 PM

I love the fries at Texas West, I want to eat the picture.

April 18, 2011 | 9:30 AM

Grange, hands down.

April 18, 2011 | 10:38 AM

Texas West and Suzie Burger came to mind when I read the title….no salad for lunch today!

April 18, 2011 | 11:40 AM

Lots of places make great fries, House touts theirs as excellent, but when I think of experiences in which I really look forward to fries I actually think of L Wine Lounge. And really the fries are only half the story, it’s their dipping sauces that make them great.

April 18, 2011 | 3:35 PM

The “log fries” at Nation Wide.

April 19, 2011 | 9:11 AM

The article is a good idea but I wish it had been more comprehensive.
You skip right past the adventure of trying all the fries from various venues and jump right to the conclusion. We have no idea how you reached this conclusion, how large was your sample, how long this process took, etc. This degrades the article for me quite a lot.
What I expected was the adventure – riding along on the quest for the perfect fry. The flat tire you got outside of one neighborhood and the hole-in-the-wall diner you found while waiting for the tow truck driver. The attempt to make the perfect fry at home, a survey of respondents about what is, in fact, the generally accepted ideal fry – that sort of thing.

kes
April 19, 2011 | 9:29 AM

blackened-crusty earthy sweet potato fries at Pete’s Original at 20th and J (Which my little niece calls “Petie’s” to differentiate it from Peet’s coffee tight across the street.)

t3x
April 19, 2011 | 11:35 AM

I swore I’d never darken the door of Texas West BBQ after having the worst meat ever to call itself barbecue there, but I may have to go back and try those fries.

April 19, 2011 | 11:50 AM

It’s probably just my generation but for me McDonalds’ are the fries I crave. I eat ‘em hot on the way home though, ’cause once they cool down…blech.

September 4, 2012 | 9:31 PM

Tried the Suzie frys and got alage serving of disapointment. Limp and very un-fluffy. Turn up the oil temp and clean often. Never having those again. We will try the burgers next time but not the frys. Bake to The Habit.

November 9, 2012 | 7:07 PM

Texas West was a great place for the fries! A pricey menu kept us thinking about our pocket book when ordering. Got to admit the BBQ is great but sandwiches are $10.00 and up. BBQ entrees are beyond casual prices, but again the quality is wonderful.

November 9, 2012 | 9:21 PM

Jacks Urban has served up a good fry and a decent portion at that. Clean, medium crispy, hot and golden. Not the tastiest I’ve had but easily among upper eschelon rankings. They do offer Garlic Fries and a wild combo with blue cheese and other condiments.

Type your comment in the box below