A Kings move is a Sacramento loss

For anyone who thinks that losing the Sacramento Kings is only that, the loss of a professional sports franchise, think again. If Joe and Gavin Maloof, Kings owners, choose to file for a move by the looming March 1st deadline and are granted relocation, this city will lose a lot more than 41 regular season home games a year. This is about more than basketball.

Arco Arena, soon to be Power Balance Pavilion, is an old, crumbling eyesore that is already being passed up by some of the big names in sports, music and entertainment for newer venues. Without the Sacramento Kings and the Maloofs, Sacramento is unlikely to build a new entertainment center and will continue to lose out to our shiny arena neighbors in San Jose, Stockton and even, gulp, Oakland.

A possible Kings relocation has been on the horizon for quite some time. We never thought this would happen. Some didn’t (and still don’t) care. Now it looks like it might finally happen as NBA Commissioner David Stern confirmed that the Maloofs have been in talks with the managers of the Honda Center in Anaheim, Ca about moving the team there.

You don’t like the Kings you say? Ok. Do you like Lady Gaga, Disney on Ice, Monster Trucks, WWE, Taylor Swift, Usher, Dancing with the Stars, or Dane Cook? Did you like the 2 million dollars our city generated in NCAA play-off revenue? Oh wait, we lost that already due to our aged arena….An entertainment venue means jobs, it means visitors, it means revenue for this city that we are letting walk down the coast if we let the Kings leave.

Although Mayor Kevin Johnson is committed to trying to keep the team here, he can only do so much. Without support from the residents of Sacramento and beyond, the Kings should move. I just hope we understand what that means…You can give or take the Kings, basketball or the other entertainment outlets, but do you want to see Sacramento thrive or not?

February 22, 2011 | 7:27 PM

Everyone who are backed into a corner trying to show the Kings have a tangible benefit fall back on the old adage, well they critical to attracting business.. Would like anyone to tell me the name of a single business that moved to Sacramento because of the Kings. In fact over the years the Kings have been here almost every company that got to be of any size was bought out and its headquarters moved out of town. So much for th economic value of the Kings. I suspect the only ones who will miss the Kings are the McMansion builders in Placer and El Dorado counties.

February 22, 2011 | 11:39 PM

its not about the kings, its about the jobs that they provide. i don’t give a hoot is you like the king or not, because that does not matter. if you read that article at all, you’ll know that they were poiting to the bigger issue at hand that we will lose if we lose the kings. I would liek you to research how many people the kings employ each season and think of them all not having jobs now. Plus its bigger than the kings, Arco arena stays open for a large reason because of the kings, and without them i believe what the article says that we will loose our entertainment facility as a whole. Your money is not wasted on the kings, if you want to put it that way, but have some pride. Sacramento is not a small town anymore and people need to get over that. Its the capital of California, its a thriving city that growing everyday. You cannot stop that, as much as you try, all you can do it embrace and make it positive and progressive.

February 23, 2011 | 6:14 AM

It’s true that Sacramento is no longer a small town but most of the people living in Sacramento and the region are small-town minded. This is not a thriving, growing city. It was recently named one the top 5 miserable cities in the nation. Which may be too harsh. But it is a stagnate city. As far as the Kings go—Sacramento City and County residents have had a chance to pay for a new arena by paying a couple of more cents of taxes and they have rejected it. Sacramento does not deserve a NBA team. You get what you pay for and Sacramento residents are stingy, provincial people with no vision beyond their suburban neighborhood. They don’t want to live in a city and so they shan’t.

February 23, 2011 | 10:15 AM

To blame the people in the suburban neighborhoods alone for a lack of regional and civic pride is not honest. The City of Sacramento itself has failed to lead.

February 24, 2011 | 8:00 AM

I beg to differ with you. The City has come up with possible solutions and the people have rejected them every time. The City is made up of people and if the Kings fans have better ideas of how to get an arena built then why don’t they push them? If the fans can’t get their neighbors to support a reasonable plan then I sorry the Kings should go where the money flows. It’s a business after all. I think people prefer to blame the “City” for everything- me included! But in this case I can’t blame them- I blame the people.

February 24, 2011 | 11:53 AM

Really? This is a Sacramento City Council that can waste hour after hour making meaningless resolutions about what the State of Arizona and the Federal Government is doing, but cannot make realistic local decisions that stick.

I suppose you are right–I do blame the people in Sacto proper for voting these dolts into office. But heck, the people in the outlying burbs don’t like the dolts either. That’s why they moved out there, to get away from them.

February 22, 2011 | 8:06 PM

I don’t know that anyone is arguing that the Kings are bringing BUISNESSES to Sacramento. However, in its hayday Arco Arena did have events up to 300 nights a year and those events brought in out of town guests that were spending their money in our city, not to mention the money spent in Sacramento by the event itself. Those who want the Kings to move fall back on “this is just about losing the Kings”…it isn’t. The city is going to lose a lot more revenue from that arena and the loss of events that would have been housed in it.

February 22, 2011 | 8:46 PM

The article defines the problem, talks about consequences, and begs for action — but provides NO suggestions as to what a non-basketball fan can do to encourage the Kings to stay in town.

I agree with you that the Kings are a good thing for the local economy, but I’m not going to buy overpriced tickets to watch a bad team play a lame sport. What suggestions do you have other than wasting my money on this form of “entertainment?”

February 23, 2011 | 6:01 AM

It may be too late but 21st century models call for this venue (big time sports) to be “linked” to both convention center and entertainment venues. This appears to be a broader redevelopment issue. Who has the vision and the authority to insist that Sacramento be more than a capital city. It has any number of advantages to market itself locally, regionally, and nationally as a destination city. In terms of tangible action, two things are required. One, there must be a visionary proposal endorsed by political and community leaders that incorporates the Kings and all other “hospitality” supported events presented to the community. Two, the community must be asked to, in some immediate way, demonstrate their support for the vision. It could be something as simple as a call in show or a campaign that “reverses” the current lukewarm sentiment for the Kings because of their mediocre performance. Time to step up if its not already too late.

February 23, 2011 | 7:36 AM

Good businesses survive on their own merits. When they need propping up by public entities, they may not be good businesses. Maybe Sacramento isn’t as addicted to basketball as the proponents of the sport portend. Look how long Sacramento has tried to make it work. I think it’s time to cut the cord and look at other opportunities.
By the way; has anyone looked at just how much are the salaries of the “jobs” the kings bring here? I see a lot of low level stuff like janitorial, vending, usher, etc. but not much 50K and over, so just how are we justifying the claim?

February 23, 2011 | 9:00 AM

” I see a lot of low level stuff like janitorial, vending, usher, etc” – but there are people who need those jobs. according to varying sources, anywhere from 700 to 1000 jobs. how would you replace them?

February 23, 2011 | 9:50 AM

Sometimes we spend more attracting and keeping low paying jobs than we do creating better ones. In addition, low paying jobs often require subsidies like low income housing (warehousing the poor), food stamps, healthcare, WIC, etc. So maybe they don’t need to be replaced, but rather eliminated.

February 23, 2011 | 2:06 PM

I can tell you that I have been to the Maloof offices and there are plenty of high level jobs in operations, sales and marketing.

Beyond all of that, this is not a question of “propping up.” The question is whether we want a modern Sports and entertainment facility in our city. If we do not an NBA franchise will not be feasible. If we do the city can work with the NBA franchise to make it happen. In fact, every proposal so far has included significant money from the Maloofs to build a complex.

February 23, 2011 | 2:25 PM

so you want to play dictactor and dictate which jobs are meaningful and which aren’t? frankly i would rather spend the money for an arena, keep the jobs that are there (with the possibility of creating more due to a larger venue) and help the local economy with construction jobs, restaurants and businesses that would be created to help people get away from food stamps, healthcare, WIC, etc. or we could not build an arena, watch the jobs arco wristband arena has go away, watch other businesses local to the existing arena who depend upon the arena for business go away, and the rest of the domino affect that would happen (and has been explained numerous times here and elsewhere). sounds to me like a new arena is a good investment. and we haven’t even touched on the increased city tax revenues a new arena would create.

i don’t think it is as open and shut of a case as you make it appear to be. it sounds easy to say “let’s not build an arena because the city is broke” or “let those rich, spoiled maloofs build it”. there are too many portions of the spiderweb that would be affected if you elimate one side of it (i.e. an arena – new or existing).

February 23, 2011 | 8:46 AM

If the city was smart it would build an entertainment facility that is not a sports arena after the Kings leave. You could develop a facility solely built for concerts and shows with much better seating lines and better acoustics than you can get in an arena. Dynamite Downtown Plaza and replace it with a venue containing both an outdoor amphitheater and a concert hall and you would attract plenty of theater and concert events without making the architectural compromises needed to fit a basketball court in the building as well.

February 23, 2011 | 7:49 PM

we already have downtown plaza, cal expo, k street dying a slow death now i see arco as another eyesore. whats wrong with this city.

February 24, 2011 | 3:30 AM

The Maloof’s are greedy people who wanted the citizens of Sacramento to pay for their arena via our tax dollars. In addition, they charge an excessive of money for the tickets, food, and drinks which also sucks the fun out of taking the family to a game. They are billionaires and they shouldn’t ask me to help pay for an arena that they will profit from, and I won’t. I’m sick of taxes, and it sickens me more that the rich, greedy, and spoiled Maloofs would try to sucker the people of Sacramento into buying their new arena with our hard earned tax dollars. They don’t care about Sacramento, they care about money.

February 24, 2011 | 11:56 AM

News flash–all owners want as much city / county help and as little city / county hindrance as possible. And if they can get a better deal elsewhere, they will leave. At this point, the only advantage Sacramento has is inertia.

February 25, 2011 | 12:58 PM

I dont see Kevin Johnson doing very much to keep the Kings here . I remember how hard the Mayor and the previouse owners worked to get the team here in the first place . What has Kevin Johnson and Sacramento offered the Kings to stay ? I say to the Mayor . Get with it . Make some public offers to the team and get and arena built . I know there is a formula to getting it done without the tax payers . We got them here without the tax payers and got arco built without the tax payers . Whats up now ? Get this deal done and keep this team here . Call Anaheim and tell them that we are going to put a northern California Disney land at Cal Expo . That will wake them up . Oh by the way . Cal Expo has enough room for a Disneyland there . I think I am going to call the executives at Disney and present a proposal to them .

February 27, 2011 | 10:21 AM

Here are my two cents on this issue. I honest to god believe people should look past the Maloofs. THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE MALOOFS, this is about trying to make this city thrive. It is quite pathetic in my opinion the even though Sacramento is the Capitol of California is a joke of a city. Take some pride in being the capitol. Demand changes and better downtown areas and let’s keep the kings here in this city. If they leave what would this city have left? I am not originally from Sacramento, in fact I am a San Francisco native and I take pride of the SF Giants just as much as I take pride in living here. Let’s makes this about the city. Honestly people, think about the jobs that will be lost and about the opportunites this city will never aquire if the Kings leave.

February 27, 2011 | 4:16 PM

I don’t know you BUT I love you! I’m from NYC and now I live here. Sactown is still a Cowtown and we should not sit around and let the city council control its destiny. I really like Kevin Johnson. The Maloofs are one small piece of this larger dilemma. I have traveled extensively and the one thing I hear people from this area say is “Sacramento is a great place to live because of its proximity to………” In other words, the best thing about Sacramento is usually in your rear view mirror as you drive to Napa, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco etc. This HAS to stop!

February 27, 2011 | 4:10 PM

Sacramento IS a COW TOWN! If the Kings leave, Sacramento will take a huge backseat to the surrounding DUMPS (Stockton, Oakland and San Jose) for civic events. The KINGS are the ONLY game in town. Name 1 city that didn’t “turn around” when a new arena was built? Name 1!

February 27, 2011 | 7:17 PM

for goodness sake. The Kings are a basketball team- a sports team- they will not make or break Sacramento. If they stay – they stay. If they go- they go. Hasta la vista baby.

It’s like I am reading Chicken little and the sky is falling, the sky is falling. The Kings, Maloofs, an Arena won’t raise the sky in this city. And when life gives us lemons we should make lemonade for goodness sake. Instead of catering, brown-nosing, kissing up to a sports team- whose season wasn’t all that – energy should be used on finding ways to make an arena successful and thrive without the dog gone sports team. Surely it can be done. Surely this nation isn’t built, thrives, dependent upon a sports team. Heck perhaps it is, perhaps that’s why celebrities get in office.- STAR stuck voters…

The Kings should not be put on a pedestal. Heck I hope they leave maybe then we can use our imagination, our minds…verses star struck sports eyes– to find other avenues to make Arco thrive. No wonder ball players make more money than teachers- and treated like GODS. The Kings being here hasn’t made Sacramento a world class city…. If they leave it doesn’t make Sacramento a small town. Surely the people of this city –the city of ‘Sacrament” can find another way to make this city thrive and turn to the Maloofs and say “it’s your loss and our gain” And work to make Sacramento a city another sports team will be honored to come to. But we want to think a sports team will make the city–the city needs to make the team- make a team want to come here pay us to come here instead of us BUYING, brownnosing, worshiping, depending upon grown men bouncing, dribbling, throwing a ball.

February 28, 2011 | 12:05 AM

I am wholly pro economic activity in our metropolis. I do want sports and entertainment venues appropriate for our wonderful metropolis as it is now, and for our triving more populous metropolis as it will be in the future. I’d love it if a deal to keep the Kings can be found, but not if it means further enriching the Maloofs with a fat bribe in a tug-of-war over a basketball team.

Sacramento will find its way even if the Kings leave and the blow to state workers is severe and permanent. We need new industries and other attractions to bring conventions and tourists. And we should be poised to bring in some other professional sports team. In the meantime, we can love the River Cats all the more.

March 3, 2011 | 5:29 PM

Let me begin by stating I am a warriors fan. I am wishing with all my heart that the kings stay in sac. When i thing sacramento i think KINGS. I remember back in 02-03 i went to a couple of kings playoff games,we sat way up at the top but that was one of the best sporting experiences ive ever had. I still pay attention to and watch a kings game when i get a chance.Well if they move down to southern california that will just be one more reason to chant BEAT LA! As far as having two nba teams in the bay area market, im for it i just dont think it will work. example: bay area cant support two nfl teams . The crappy raiders were blacked out everygame but 1 or 2 .SAD! The a’s are at the bottom of all the major league teams in attendence. Doest make ecomomical sense…..

March 6, 2011 | 5:24 PM

I would like to see one of my favorite bands, U2 here in Sac again. Would hate to have to drive to the Bay Area or my least favorite of all towns, Reno for a show like that. Wake up Sac! Think big picture!