Ten Arrested for Involvement in Murder

Today, the Sacramento Police Department arrested four adults and six juveniles in connection with the murder of 15-year-old Aliyah Smith.

On January 3, 2010, at 1:21 a.m., officers responded to Nedra Court near 24th Street on the report of gunshots being heard. Upon arrival, officers located Aliyah Smith inside a residence deceased from a gunshot wound.
Homicide detectives and Crime Scene Investigators responded to the scene. Based on the investigation, detectives discovered Smith had attended a house party earlier in the night where she got into a fight with another girl. Smith left the party and walked over to a friend’s house on Nedra Court. The suspect that Smith had fought with, along with other girls, began to walk over to Nedra Court to locate Smith. It is believed that the girls were attempting to locate Smith with the intention to harm her and to retrieve property they claimed was taken during the fight. The female suspects called other individuals to come assist them which prompted one additional female and five males to respond to the area. The suspects then went over to the house on Nedra Court with the intent to lure Aliyah Smith outside and harm her. Detectives believe that at least two of the suspects were in possession of guns. The suspects called for Smith to come out of the residence and when she did not, gunshots were fired both in the air and into the house. One of the rounds hit Smith, resulting in her death.
Detectives submitted murder warrants for the suspects that went to Nedra Court with the intent to harm Smith which ultimately resulted in her death. On August 31, 2010, detectives served the arrest warrants and took the following individuals into custody:

18-year-old Alison Williams, 18-year-old Marcel Bullard, 18-year-old D’Andre Monroe, 19-year-old Marschell Brumfield, two 17-year-old males, a 17-year-old female, a 16-year-old female, and two 15-year-old females.

The investigation is still ongoing and as such certain details of the incident are not being released at this time.

August 31, 2010 | 11:10 PM

What the Heck??? So now we have 12 more teens (yes the adults are also teens being the oldest arrested is nineTEEN) sitting in jail/ juvenile hall FACING CHARGES OF MURDER. I hope I can get the day off Thursday so I can go to court and meet the families affected. It never surprises me to see the families are not raising murderers and often shocked of their child’s involvement and it never surprises me how some will be rounded off to jail to sit and wait –life interrupted – sometimes until determined they are not involved…….

HOW many Sacramento teens / youth have died??? HOW many more will die??? HOW many more Sacramento teens and youth have been sentenced to life in prisons? Do you think Sacramento GIFT and CHOICES programs WILL NOW reach the communities affected by violence??? When an Orangevale youth shot a gun into a dwelling and killed a man THE PROGRAMS reached the Orangevale community to give the youth the gift of freedom and learn the consequences of violence….. The choice to educate some not so much affected and not educated many directly affected has contributed to the violence in the CITY of Sacramento.

August 31, 2010 | 11:25 PM

Those kids had no business carrying a gun. My guess is they went there to fight her, jump her not to kill her. But someone shot off that gun carried in their hand and a life was tragically taken. And they will have to be held responsible for their actions. But the way this is written, the way it was written on other sites from the media release “went there to harm her” gives intent for charges of murder as if they went there to kill her. I don’t believe in my heart they wanted to kill her. My heart, prayer, love and support goes to the family who lost their loving daughter. But I hope this time the police and DA will tell the truth and not cloud this case with babyface killers. It won’t change the fact a family lost their daughter but it might aid in looking for ways to prevent this from happening again. What happened is bad enough on its own than to have an image sent to the public that these 12 teens went to that house to kill. Officers know many teens will shoot out of impulse, fear, stupidity, …. and not necessarily to kill. An investigation is still pending and I hope the truth comes out and we can look for ways to prevent this tragedy from happening again.

September 1, 2010 | 9:25 AM

Whether they went to the house to kill or not, they could all be found guilty of 2nd degree murder under the felony murder rule, the definition of which includes death resulting from the discharge of a firearm into an inhabited dwelling. If the group of defendants all went there with the intention of injuring Ms. Smith, they were engaged in a criminal conspiracy to commit an assault, a robbery, or something worse, potentially making them all responsible for each others’ actions. You can’t agree to engage in a fight with co-conspirators carrying firearms, then claim ignorance (or innocence) when someone gets shot.

September 1, 2010 | 10:25 PM

Yes, I believe it was said they went their with an intent to assault. I’m not sure if all of them with there with that intent. I don’t think it was mentioned they went to commit a robbery. In fact I think it was mentioned one of them went to get back property which belonged to them allegedly taken during an earlier fight. Yes, by law it does make them all responsible….. Thank you for the information shared. We will see how the District Attorney’s office will prosecute each of the twelve since I can name many cases when the law you describe is not /was not followed…. and cases where a validated over 21yrs old gang member served no time when he admitted firing his gun first to be a witness for the DA and given another chance of freedom and 8 others there not even charged while only one was sentenced to life in prison for the friendly “fire” homicide…… So the law as you mention it sounds good but it’s not consistent……………. But thank you again.

September 1, 2010 | 10:31 AM

Update: when the press release was sent we only had 10 of our 12 in custody. Yesterday we were able to find the last two female teenagers involved. This was a tragic killing and unfortunately youth violence continue to rise. We are actively trying to reach our kids with programs such as Cease Fire. Cease Fire targets gang involved youths with enforcment, community based organizations, churches, and businesses to offer youths alternatives to the gang life.

September 1, 2010 | 10:31 PM

Thank you for the update. I was told from a neighborhood youth that some of the girls were picked up on their way to school. I was told some were not hiding because they felt they weren’t involved. Usually you find something that is lost. So I think it’s more accurate to say you were able to pick up the youth verses able to find them……… And how do you reach those aren’t gang members arrested for homicide? Many are not. And the Cease Fire program isn’t reaching many……………I won’t even have you elaborate on the program because I wouldn’t want to embarrass you for mentioning it. But thank you.

September 5, 2010 | 12:20 AM

I think some of those teens that were”recruited” to go to the house where the victim was, may have
been afraid to say No. Peer pressure is hard to say no to these days. I have taught my children to be leaders not followers. Parents need to get involved in their child’s lives at an early age. I don’t know what the solution is to stop these murders but I guess it might be a good way to start. I am sorry this had to happen.