Upset at Capital Fashion Awards

Leigh Grogan, a writer for the Sacramento Bee, is reporting that, "The first Capital Fashion Awards show Friday night at the Park Ultra Lounge in Sacramento gave local designers and hairstylists something to shoot for – a spot in next year’s event." Yet interestingly enough, many of this years nominees are vowing to never return.

Voting procedures for the event are still unclear. One nominee for Best Fashion Photographer was confided in by two sources that the link on the online voting ballot that was supposed to go to his website and online portfolio actually went to a Bible study website. Exactly who was given the opportunity to vote is also unclear.

Richard Hallmarq (creator/planner of Capital Fashion Awards), coincidentally won in the "Best Designer" category, even though a close friend of his and fellow designer has accurately tweeted "DESIGNER OFTHE YEAR DIDNT EVEN HAVE 1 FASHION SHOW THIS YEAR!!" In fact, Hallmarq’s "collection" at the awards show only boasted 4 original outfits. In addition to this, Hallmarq was the only designer given a full runthrough of his show with his models before the Capital Fashion Awards began.

The models that walked for all the designers were from Sacramento agency Cast Images, including four of the nominees in the Model of the Year category. These nominees were aware of each others’ nominations, but were surprised to learn the night of the event that other models not living in the Sacramento area had been nominated as well. One model was heard as saying after a non-local was announced as the winner, "ummm, so why are we here?" These models were uncompensated for the night’s event.

Local models also anticipated with excitement the chance to meet America’s Next Top Model and Make Me a Supermodel winners Naima Mora,  CariDee English, and Jonathan Waud. English was quoted in a Sacramento Bee article before the event as saying, "I’m looking forward to meeting the models in Sacramento to encourage them." Yet these reality TV winners were kept separate until the start of the event, and chatter confirms that "Make Me a Supermodel" winner Jonathan Waud was the only celebrity of the evening friendly enough to chatter with local participants backstage.

All in all, while the event clearly brought an evening of fun for the audience, those in the local fashion scene who participated in the show were left feeling schemed.

Whether Leigh Grogan (who has had a friendship with Hallmarq for years) or any other local newsource will pick up this underlying story is yet to be seen, but undoubtedly it will affect the show’s future prospects for finding local talent in the fashion industry.

October 6, 2009 | 5:55 PM

This article is so true.

Thank you for revealing the truth.

This event was a joke. Standing room only for an awards show?

The creator of the event wins his category?! Tacky!

We have no idea who voted or who nominated anyone and I still dont know who else was nominated in our category!

October 6, 2009 | 6:35 PM

Great coverage. I like how you approached the issues that clearly needed to be addressed without being too harsh. You kept a good tone for the piece. Well done!!

October 6, 2009 | 9:18 PM

I am an agency represented model who resides in Sacramento but doesn’t like to participate in local events for this reason. I’m glad the ugly truth about those involved is finally revealed. Thank you Anja Weldon!

October 6, 2009 | 9:52 PM

This was just a night club promo event. No one takes it seriously and if they do…..they are naive. Love Sacramento press for letting real journalism happen.

October 6, 2009 | 10:15 PM

And Grogin is an attention whore. From the moment Richard introduced her at Faces trying to get a write up int he Bee, she has been an egomaniac herself. Talk about being unavailable. Naima was her cheerful self and usual charmer and open to talk with anyone. Ever heard of not disturbing someone while they focus on getting ready to perform, let alone HOST AN EVENT..GET A CLUE. Thank god this event was in a bar. Another exclusive engagement barring the models who have slaved for them. Remember Faces??? Thank god for Artfest…Oh, and PArk, why is water $12? Us non-alcoholics DRIVERS need a break from all this pretentious BS… And the crowd was amazing. Packed into a sardine can unable to see anything unless it was in your face. Nice arrangement STL??? NO??? Do as your paid to do??? They made money… Highlight of the evening. A REAL RUNWAY… Holy crap. None of this “I just screwed cheap OSB panels together on a wobbly frame…GRACE??? Not that it wasn’t safe or anything… The lighting was amazing, enough to view the rest of the runway through mirrors. That was different. And the slide show didn’t hurt either, added to the element of surprise. Speaking of surprise. RICHARD… Your dance moves were entertaining. Now that was where your creativity went. Try not so hard to be in the limelight, and let your fashions speak for themselves. Fashionista Baby!!! Bobby Trendy, you devil…. Love the makeup. You suffered for fashion. Now that was fabulous. Maybe 2010 will be different…

October 7, 2009 | 6:43 PM

This is a very entertaining conversation, and the passions around the Capital Fashion Awards are amazing to me, a non-fashionista. It’s fantastic that community contributor Anja Weldon – who we at SacPress know nothing about – apparently dug beneath the surface of the event to unearth some rather unlovely conflicts among participants. Assuming it’s true, it’s not quite the pretty picture that organizers likely wanted to convey.

But at the same time, I am disturbed that an old colleague and friend, The Sacramento Bee’s Leigh Grogan, has been insulted so sharply by a commenter (FashionNazi) who, while attacking Leigh by name as “an attention whore,” declined to make his or her own name known. I guess that means FashionNazi doesn’t want attention. Or perhaps they simply don’t want accountability for their comments. This strikes me as mean, cowardly and, knowing Leigh as I do, just plain wrong.

But rather than take the comment down, I am responding in the form our site offers: The Conversation.

While this is personally painful to me, it is also professionally challenging: Taking an angry phone call from an old friend who says that she will never forget my betrayal – despite my assurances that I simply can’t censor the members of our online community – is frustrating and saddening. It is also an adjustment for me in a professional sense: This whole “citizen journalism,” open-platform enterprise is a work in progress, and a new world for which bravery is just one requirement. A tolerance of new, unfamiliar territory is another. And a willingness to upset friends is a third.

A thick skin is another requirement. While journalists used to labor in relative obscurity – well, at least as much obscurity as someone whose name is known to half a million readers can claim – we are now on TV, radio, Facebook, and like, Leigh, we even make public appearances. We used to be able to sit back, secure in the safety of our perch above the masses, and express our considered opinions. Now, we are the subjects of opinion. And those opinions are, on occasion, not pleasant to hear.

I have, in my 30 years of expressing myself through different media, met people who hate me. I have received two death threats, one of which came because of my opinion of…a guitar solo. I have been called a lot of things, and “attention whore” would have to be one of the more printable. But that sort of thing has always come with the job; these days, it’s just a lot more likely that we’ll hear those opinions than we used to. And so will everyone else.

The Sacramento Press is not here for journalists. It is here for the community it is rapidly attracting. If people can meet our minimal standards against libel, slander and language, they can post what they like. For the most part, people are respectful. We actively encourage people who comment to be polite to each other, and regularly weigh in on conversations to steer them in more productive, polite directions. We take our lumps for that as well – we’ve been attacked by self-described “real” journalists who paste us with high-minded accusations that are larded with the very inaccuracy and bias they accuse us of.

We like to think that it is pretty clear that just because something appears on the site, it is not the editorial opinion of the Sacramento Press staff. That’s not what we do. The Sacramento Press is something new, a place for a lot of opinions you may not have heard before, and new things always upset the status quo. All of us are just going to have to get used to that.

In fact, our customer support staff, who monitor the site hourly, considered taking the comment down well before we heard from Leigh. It was decided – and not by me – that it met the standards of comment on the site, even though we didn’t agree with it. I winced when I saw the comment, but I also thought that, ultimately, it would be taken in the spirit in which it was intended: mean, exaggerated and bilious, but just one person’s opinion.

So, while I can sympathize with Leigh’s pain and anger over this – she is no more an “attention whore” than any of us who write and hold forth in public, hoping to get attention for our opinions – I also can’t justify removing a comment because it hurts her feelings. That is the old way, the way before the Internet, before all of our lives became more public and the line between private and public became hopelessly blurred.

This is a new world, and being a product of the old one, I share Leigh’s discomfort with it. I wish that the commenter had been less abrasive, less insulting and more fair. But I can’t in good conscience censor a member of our community simply because I don’t like what he or she wrote. That would be convenient and certainly more comfortable for me, but it wouldn’t be in keeping with the spirit of The Sacramento Press.

October 7, 2009 | 10:24 PM

The true spirit of the night seems lost on so many. The Capital Fashion Awards were for local (or former local ) fashionistas being honored by peers and presenting for an intimate audience a great show and amazing Friday night out…No cash prizes, scholarships, modeling contracts, runway futures were damaged by any of the nominations or winners who were simply HONORED for contribution. The ballots were so secretive that half of the winners were not even in attendance in point of fact. We apologize to any who did not enjoy the show…We loved all of the designers, the banter of the celebrity guests, and most of all the audience that cheered for Sacramento as much as they did for New York, LA, or the next martini. – Brian Bassett, The Park Ultra Lounge

October 8, 2009 | 10:42 AM

I think it’s a shame that feelings were hurt over this event. As the owner of Cast Images, I decided to have the agency participate in the Capital Fashion Awards to try to lend support to a growing fashion community in Sacramento. We donated our time, as did our models. My booker, Jessica Berkey, worked long hours pulling the models together and also spent her afternoon and evening working with the models and designers backstage for the show itself. All of this was pro bono. I was given a ballot to vote, which was anonymous. I’m not sure who else voted. I believe that Richard Hallmark had the very best of intentions in putting the event together and I know that he worked very hard to make it happen. While I know that the results of the awards were disappointing to many, I agree with Brian Bassett, that the important thing is the intention and spirit of the event. I’m happy that there was a great turnout, and am hopeful that the Sacramento fashion scene will grow large enough to pay people for their efforts. In the meantime, kudos to all the people who are working hard to make it happen.

October 8, 2009 | 1:49 PM

What’s inconsiderate in this equation is that – (Sacramento Press), the writer especially, proudly went Perez Hilton on Richard Hallmarq. I understand that Richard have a flamboyant personality but he did a wonderful job at this event.

You Sacto folks- should be pleased because he delivered something that the city does not have. The crucial thing now is that- the fashion is there but the support system from the media is not (as an example of this snarky write-up). It seemed that there are people that are ready to bring down others that are trying to proactively improve themselves.

Shame on the writer for propagating a negative write-up instead of a positive one. That made the Sacto fashion community step backward with guilt instead of forward. I had a wonderful time at the event and now this … people are now here giving reasons to please ‘whoever.’

Better yet, keep doing these shows coming and let the naysayers – sit and complain some more.
On the monetary issues – trade-work is the key if there’s no $ that is being exchanged. Plus, networking and cross PR is another avenue to gain from this event.

Remember, this is in Sacramento, not in Paris or Milan.

So, fashion people- don’t be discouraged.

October 8, 2009 | 4:35 PM

SFFFashionistas, if you read David Watts Barton’s comment above you will see that The Sacramento Press has no idea who the writer for this piece is besides her name and upset with the awards. So I beg to differ that The Sacramento Press went “Perez Hilton” on Richard Hallmarq.

Despite the controversies, I had a great time at the awards and you will see I conveyed a positive experience before Anja’s piece was posted http://www.sacramentopress.com/headline/14875/Fashion_awards_show_brings_glitz_and_glamour_to_Sac

We encourage ALL sides of stories to be told and that is one of the great things about journalism!

October 16, 2009 | 2:06 PM

This is a bit comical to me…..

The show was well done and better than Sacramento Fashion week with all due respect to there efforts. Magnum Opus… really. Richard Hallmarq and the complete team involved with the event that was hosted at the Park Ultra Lounge was well done from my experience in the fashion industry and having worked shows in SF / Dubai / China , etc!!!!

Richard Hallmarq has vision and understands fashion and is trying to represent Fashion as done in all the major fashion week markets. Sacramento is the Capital of this state and needs to have all elements of fashion showcased. Richard is a fashion genius. Much respect to this Maverick who is a proud Sacramento based designer!

With all due respect to Anja Weldon……Capital Fashion Awards were well done! Bravo to all involved in the event and thank you for representing fashion well!

Way to go Richard! Continue to do you and represent fashion as you see fit. Continue … to think outside the box.

Proud of this designer! We should support an aspiring designer, dont knock him. I understand Miss Weldon that you probally think your calling it as you experienced it and see it. But really…… knocking an event like this is is a bad call I feel. If you want to knock something …stir your attention to Sacramento Fashion week or so they call it. That was a massive joke…. this however was not. The nominees for Best Male and Female model were solid models. Male models were solid with Andrey and Vladimir ( discovered at a bank in Sacramento – internationally know – CK banned ad/campaign) of JE model and Crosby (former Sac State quarterback) with Look of SF and ps: was just discovered by Steven Miesel. All three of which are talent from Sacramento, Crosby who is a buddy of mine in the industry. The girls were amazing. Ellen who has truly blown up and was being packaged more as a commercial / lifestyle model due to Cast images..Wow …..she is doing quite well in the fashion arena and can always do the smiley stuff when her time in fashion is done.

All the major players in any movement…whether religious, business, or fashion have been questioned etc.

I do feel that models agree with Anja in that talent (models) should be compensated for there participation. Another huge reason that reflects in the shows….you get what you pay for. For example Magnum Opus and Sacramento Fashion Week had heights all over the place and the flow of the show was shotty at best. If you are going to do something and call it Sacramento Fashion Week, please represent Sacramento and fashion to the 10′s. I understand it is a step in the right direction but doing it right and doing it half way is simply that.

FYI – Fashion is coming to Sacramento and they just got a tiny taste. Oh and Anja Weldon, I’ll save you a seat come around March at NY fashion week so you can educate yourself on fashion a touch.

This is an objective take from a working model that has been in the industry over the last 10 years.

But what do I know……just my 2 cents.

I say welcome the Fashion Extravaganza =)

(kudos though to you Anja for stirring the pot and giving the event and Richard some free PR, not that the event nor did he need your PR)

October 16, 2009 | 2:15 PM

This is a bit comical to me…..

All the major players in any movement…whether religious, business, or fashion have been questioned or rediculed ( I am a model – cant spell =) etc.

I do agree with Anja in that talent (models) should be compensated for there participation. Local / SF based model and will not work for free unless I believe in the cause or have a relationship with the designer. Sf shows pay 200 – 500. Grad shows for the Academy of Arts pays 1100. Macys passport on a larger level is a 2000- 3500. Lets get up to speed on investing in quality shows with exp. talent. Not free talent that are heights from 5’6 – 6’4″ . Men 6’0″ – 6’2″ with slight exceptions and Women 5’9 / 5’10″ – 6’0″ with slight exceptions. I love all heights but this is the standard and flows well for shows…. rather than it being all across the board! I.e. Magnum Opus and Sacramento Fashion Week had heights all over the place and the flow of the show was shotty at best. If you are going to do something and call it Sacramento Fashion Week, please represent Sacramento and fashion to the 10′s. I understand it is a step in the right direction but doing it right and doing it half way is simply that.

This is an objective take from a working model that has been in the industry over the last 10 years and is based in Sacramento.

But what do I know……just my 2 cents.

I say welcome the Fashion Extravaganza =)

October 16, 2009 | 2:53 PM

I find it interesting that many commentators find it of poor taste to tell a side of a story that doesn’t necessarily have a favorable outlook on this event. Regardless of my personal opinion on the event, this was a buzzing topic among those who participated in the show. I feel I had every right to report it, and I did so without feeling it necessary to “baby” the fashion industry of Sacramento with censorship. If the fashion industry is truly growing in Sacramento (which I believe it is) then it can withstand a little poking and prodding. Even further, I believe this poking and prodding will only make it stronger. There are some negative sides to a lot of what goes on in the Sacramento fashion scene (some of which I have TRUTHFULLY reported), and they hurt the industry here. It is not my reporting of these negatives that should be frowned upon, but rather the negatives themselves. Many have misplaced blame on me, said I attacked Hallmarq’s personality and that I don’t know anything about the fashion industry. Please get it right… I never made a personal attack on Mr. Hallmarq, and you all might ask yourselves how I could have even gotten this scoop without being in the fashion industry myself. I am not some “hater” as many of you would like to believe. I probably love the industry here more than most anyone, and because of that love I will expect more from it in the future. Keep in mind that I did mention that, “the event clearly brought an evening of fun for the audience.” In that regard I do believe it was a huge success. There is more to the story though, and I think it hints into the deeper workings of the Sacramento fashion scene. I tried to keep quiet throughout most of the commenting because I do think it’s important that people talk openly about the industry here, but now I can’t help but feel disappointed that many would rather turn a blind eye to any of it’s shortcomings rather than address them honestly. That does more harm than anything I have or could say.

October 19, 2009 | 12:10 PM

I was at the event, only recommendation is a larger venue for next year, it was packed in there. I was dispointed there wasn’t more coverage after the event. I was really hoping to see some pictures from the runway hard to remember all the looks we saw. There were a few pics on this site. Someone in the threads above commented on the models, I thought they were great in this show great height and proportions, they were all gorgeous one got an audible awww from the crowd everytime she walked, not surprising she is the first picture you guys posted in the slideshow …I say way to go Sacramento!

March 15, 2010 | 3:09 PM

Wow, I am so surprised anyone would even come down on Richard Hallmarq, if not for him, we would not have any fashion here in Sacramento, ca… So you know the props go out to him his crew, the models. This is Sacramento, not l.a. or N.Y. or even San Francisco.. I have known richard for many many yearssssssss… He has always put himself in what ever he has done. This started when he was very young, and was in talent shows all over not only here in Sacramento, but for Putting on the hits, In L.A. San francisco, and I will tell you one thing he had this fashion, and being funny from the beginning, he used to help my daughter make up her clothes to do, and also he would sat and sew his own things that were increadible. All I can say as people need to be real be themselves, not put on false, because that does not go along way.. With anyone.. You models take a lesson from this, be yourselfs do your job as best as can be. The fashion Designers that goes the same for you. Someone might not like one thing that does not mean another will not.. Sincerly this is a public person who keeps a eye on the modeling and fashion designing, love the t.v shows for it. So please do not be so harsh on anyone. It is really rough to get into this business..Sincerly Linda

April 3, 2010 | 4:20 PM

To Ms Anja Weldon, “petheticawardsshow”, “Fashion Nazi” and anyone else with negative comments to say about the Capital City Fashion Awards…this is the very reason why the Sacramento fashion scene is the way it is. The instigations and shade being thrown towards Mr. Hallmarq and the people involved with this event is disgusting. People like Leigh, Richard, Marci and Crosby deserve every bit of honor they received that evening. Richard has done a lot for the fashion community in Sacramento. Yes there are other talented people in Sacramento but maybe next year you will get recognized. The hate is slightly amusing considering most of the people with negative comments were in the crowd…and yes it was standing room only…since when has that been a bad thing!? I was at the show…sitting front row…and celebrating people who have made positive contributions to the Sacramento Fashion community. If any designer felt discouraged by the results of the CCFA…get over it…the fashion industry is even more cut throat and you would probably end up being ate by the sharks if you were in LA or NYC. “Chatter” is just that…chatter…not the premise for a “press” article. While I believe that being a model in Sacramento is very tough, I agree with Chaundra is correct…it’s a shame that all of the hard work and dedication from the individuals involved could not have just been appreciated rather than the cheap slander. Lastly, Richard’s dance moves were nice…if you ever want to know how to WERK! Take notes…HATER!!

October 16, 2009 | 2:32 PM

You have some strong points but I will say that Rowena and Takashi are class act individuals and proball the debatable best hair stylists in the Sacramento region. Ellen is fab for sure and an amazing Sac model talent and maybe should of won but I dont think she is losing any sleep over the matter.

All nominees were from Sacrmento. Alot of Sac based models and actors are in SF market because there is more work there. fashion without egos and power would be nice from my vantage point too! But realistic…probally not sooo much. People will be people and this industry seems to yeild pretenious vibes and attitudes.

Can’t we all enjoy fashion and just get along =)