Swine flu appears in Sacramento County

A confirmed case of the potentially fatal swine flu has appeared in  Fair Oaks, according to the Sacramento Bee. It’s the first confirmed case in Northern California, along with two other probable cases of swine flu.

With Southern California, Mexico, and several other countries experiencing swine flu, it was only a matter of time before the virus hit Sacramento County. Federal organizations are researching the new virus and releasing information with the number of confirmed cases in the U.S. now at 40.

While the suspected death toll of swine flu has reached 173 in Mexico in a manner of days, despite suspected global spreading of the virus it is the only country where symptoms have been anything but mild or manageable. Only one person has been hospitalized in the U.S. from the virus, but officials worry it is too early to see how fatal and widespread the disease could become.

California is among several states being giving top priority to 12 million doses of the federal stockpile of Tamiflu.

Swine flu seems to be very similar to normal flu, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials. CDC has published guides and updates on its investigation online.

According to CDC, prevention measures include: covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throwing the tissue in the trash after you use it, washing hands with soap and water,  keeping at least a 6-foot distance from sick people, using alchogol-based hand cleaners and avoiding touching the eyes, nose and mouth.

CDC recommends staying home from school or work while sick and seeking medical attention if certain warning signs are seen, which can be seen here.

Resources:

1. Map of Swine Flu Cases
  2. Swine Flu & You
  3. WHO Information

April 27, 2009 | 5:36 PM

Hope this helps. I wasn’t sure if anyone else is as concerned about it as I am — I guess that’s what I get from watching and researching it all weekend instead of doing my work! I’m curious if anyone else is interested in knowing more about swine flu in Sacramento.

Speaking of which…these cases seem to have happened not as recently as mainstream media makes them appear, one of the cases I read was from March 30 and was only just confirmed as swine flu, so was called “new”. You might have already gotten it, in which case, I believe you’d have immunity.

April 27, 2009 | 9:15 PM

Thanks for the information and link. I think I had the swine flu at the beginning of the month, though I’ll probably never know. I had some kind of respiratory disease, and it was miserable.

I hope people don’t panic too much. Remember media signals, which transmits our news, are always redundant, so sudden crises in media are always going to appear more dire and dramatic than they turn out to be.

Eventually, some other news will overtake this flu scare, and/or you will become numb to its repetition. But for a short time your anxiety level can really soar.

April 28, 2009 | 10:42 AM

(I’m curious at the vote downs…a comment explaining why would be great!)

I hope people don’t panic either, there’s a lot of good news. We just need to be aware and make sure whatever happens is as good as possible.

April 28, 2009 | 12:15 PM

I’m wondering if California was given access to the stockpile of Tamiflu AFTER the cases in Fair Oaks or before? If before, why were we given a higher priority than other states?

April 28, 2009 | 1:13 PM

Before. We have quite a few already confirmed and suspected around San Diego and close to the border. I believe we were the first to get swine flu in the U.S. and have it the most widespread, while NY City has more confirmed cases I believe they may have more total and in one area.

April 28, 2009 | 1:14 PM

I hate using Fox News, but they’re my link, so…

State of Emergency declared in California:

April 28, 2009 | 6:57 PM

I appreciate this issue being addressed on Sac Press – I have my concerns as well as my doubts in regards to what the media is reporting. The more accurate information I can obtain, the better I feel, though I am not overly worried yet.

April 29, 2009 | 11:20 AM

If you are looking for alternative media on this topic, I would recommend NPR/Capitol Public Radio (90.9). So far they’ve seemed informative without sensationalizing the “outbreak”.

May 1, 2009 | 2:07 AM

This whole thing is nothing more than media hype. The odds of catching this virus is almost zero.